Apeks Tec3 Reg Set for Sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maxguru

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Is anyone using the Apeks Tec3 regs for sidemount diving? How is the hose routing? Post pics if you've got them!

Thanks!
Max Gilbert
DSAT 198186

Many, not myself though. Just wanted to reassure you. Allow for a relatively good hose routing on the longhose but are a bit difficult with short hoses.

My Sidemount regs are Apeks TEC3. I find that because they come in right and left version, they fit just right with left and right valve of the cylinders. Nothing is protruding.

As for the routing of the hoses, everithing is more cleanly routed and in the same direction. my gauges are hidden from the way, not lolipopped in front or shoveling silt, but easily accessible.

My left second stage reg (XTX50) has a 90 degre elbow and the gas is coming from the left, so there is no hose going behind my neck. That reg is on a bungee necklace. the hose is 22'' long, just enough to go from the tank to my mouth.

on the right side is the long hose wraped on the tank. again, no hose behind my neck.

as I said, the neat thing is having a right and left reg to fit with a right and left valve and having nothing protruding.

Apeks Tec3 regulators are not a very streamlined way of side -mount diving. The fixed position of the ports has all hoses pointed the same direction. I've found that regulators with a swivel first stage rout much cleaner. I'm sure it's possible to use them but not ideal. Apeks has their side-mount set which is a nice set up. I replace the short left hose with a length suitable for routing behind my neck rather than up the front. It's too easy to get longhouse trapped under the short hose if run in front.

They're great for twinsets, the DST with the swivel turret suits sidemount much better than the TEK3. Unless you are using the Z system with the manifold, then they would work pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom