Just curious about how well marketed "GUE" concept is in various parts of the world?

Your opinion regarding GUE & associated concepts etc?

• Just good ol' dive knowledge being packaged for $$'s sake

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • It's a genuine good thing for the dive community!

Votes: 18 51.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mossie

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Just curious about what your opinion might be regarding Global Underwater Explorers (GUE) and all its associated equipment etc etc?

Do you think it's diving related "common-sense" formalized, packaged and marketed or something that's really good and trying to impart new knowledge to the diving community w/o trying to $$sell you something...:D

Do share how "fanatic" the level of fascination with it is in your area and within your dive community!

A better question would be why do the people that receive training from GUE become so enthusiastic (or as you say, become "fanatics") about diving and the way it is being done? I am also curious if there are any divers with GUE training that can/will make the complaints about GUE that are seen coming from divers about the rest of the industry. Also, why not ask the same of the "associated equipment" with the other agencies courses? In my 17 years of experience I have taken classes from most of the major training agencies to include technical as well as instructor training. The funny thing is that finally with GUE, I have not found it necessary to continue to purchase new equipment for each new environment that I wish to dive in. That could not be said when I was pursuing my training with the other agencies...from requiring redundant wing systems, to recommending the highly expensive mixed gas computers over the idea of understanding deompression. Not to mention the fact that each one of these instructors required and/or recommended completely different configurations for the equipment for each class and that turned into many hours of adjustment and re-learning of it's placement. I have had several classes w/GUE and have not been told anything contradictory from one instructor to the next (not so with the training I rec'd from the other agencies) and I have not needed to change a single item on my rig, from day one with GUE.
One more question, have you received training from GUE?
It is so strange to me to see the level of criticism given from people that do not have any experience with the organization they are criticizing. Also strange, is the very high level of enthusiasm for diving after divers receive training from GUE. Why aren't these people, the divers that could actually give an educated opinion, criticizing GUE? Instead they are praising them and trying to help others share in their new found enjoyment of the sport. Sure, sometimes they get a bit over zealous in their efforts to share their new knowledge, but this can be seen with any endeavor where people are enlightened to something new and exciting that increases their skills, safety, and knowledge. It always seems to be the divers that have no basis for criticism that are doing all of the criticizing. Hmmm...why is this?:)

All you just did was criticize other agencies and instuctors. We are happy your so tickled to death with GUE but please get off your high horse and just dive. JUST DIVE

I don't think the common rec. diver and his or her family that love to dive on vacations a few times a year needs back plate and wings. I couldn't imagine trying to pack that on a small commuter plane flying out to a bahamian Island.

But GUE seems to work out great for a small population of divers.

I have over 20 yrs. experience as a certified diver and I am certified by 5 agencies as an Instructor or higher.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
I don't think the common rec. diver and his or her family that love to dive on vacations a few times a year needs back plate and wings. I couldn't imagine trying to pack that on a small commuter plane flying out to a bahamian Island.

I'm not going to debate whether the divers you describe need a BP&W. While I see no problems with them using one, its obvious that other options are available.

However, in terms of packing, it could not be easier. The plate is flat. The wing can be removed from the plate, emptied of air and packed into a very small space. Its far easier to pack than more traditional BC's.

I have fit my Pioneer 18 and my regulator bag into a medium sized brief case.

Hi CincyBengalFan,
Actually, I never mentioned one single agency other than GUE. My questions seemed to have offended you. Not the intent. This poll looked like a troll. I only asked to see what is the basis for the criticism. As you can see, I have a valid basis from which to draw an educated, valid opinion of many of the agencies and the training that they offer. Up to this point, I have only seen divers that have never received any GUE training criticizing GUE. The only reason I mentioned my background is to show that I do speak from actual experience with these other agencies and I have only told the truth in regard to what they sell. I have not seen that yet from GUE's opposition. It's fine to criticize, but shouldn't one criticize from an experience basis and not just from what they've heard and/or read on the Internet?
Just fyi, I have no problem w/my BP and wing while traveling (when I am not on my "high horse"...although my "high horse" get's pretty good mileage). I have also taught BP and wing to new divers that will never dive more than a few times a year in the tropics (aka "common rec. diver"). They have an understanding of why the BP and harness over the jacket. They choose to dive BP and wing because it makes sense.
One other item, I do dive...quite a bit... and couldn't I use that same line on you??? You've spent much more time on this board than I ever will...:wink:...

I have to agree with Northeastwrecks. The bp/wing packs better.

I don't know if any one needs a bp/wing but nobody needs a jacket bc either. If you decide you need something then a bp works beter than most (in my opinion all).

As far as GUE training, I haven't had the pleasure but I am aware of some of what they're teaching and how. I spent a long time learning on my own what they hand students on a silver platter. Even if you don't intend to fly the DIR banner, I still think don't think you can go wrong with GUE training.

Starting with equipment and a configuration that can be built on as you go can save you aton of money also. The same goes for the training. If you start with skills that can be built on you don't have to go back and relearn the basics.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

Frankly I don't think those kinds of divers even need equipment....why? b/c it would give them a false sense of security. "I have my own equipment, I can dive whenever and wherever I want."...they won't get it serviced, and it won't get used regularly....but that's a whole seperate argument.

GUE has developed a training regimine that allows divers to figure out for themselves how far they want to go....It works very well for the population of divers that want to dive on a regular basis. It seems to me that GUE is attrative to those divers who are interested in improving their diving and wish to dive more often that once or twice a year.

I personally feel that GUE is more interested in teaching those who are interested in diving how to dive as opposed to offering them more and more courses right from the get go. It seems to me that most shops in my local area are interested in cranking divers through both OW and AOW in a short period of time, then offering trips to the caymans and bahams for way too much freeking $$$$, selling them XYZ gear for way way over inflated prices, and never even exposing the students to bouyancy control or diving safety. I have personally watched classes sponsored by these shops that teach students how to walk in their fins while fully suited up, and never once did the instructor seem to care that a student was walking around with just a 15 pound weight belt on like it is a fashion statement. Many of their studnets were wearing 4 to 8 pounds in the pool session with no wetsuit or other exposure protection. I could rant for some time about this....The fact is that there are a lot of shops and instructors out there who need criticizing

The first thing mentioned in the class I took with GUE was GO OUT and DIVE...and HAVE FUN....if you aren't doing these things together, you aren't going to learn a damn thing no matter who you are training or diving with. Fortunately, my OW class and continued training have been fairly solid as far as diver safety, buddy awareness, and fundametal skills used in diving. I am interested in going further and will probably take GUE classes in the fufure, though the closest "GUE" shop is probably more than 2 hours away from my home. Why? The lady who has done all of my training is strictly a recreational diver, and though she is a hell of an instructor and a good friend, she just doesn't know about some of the more technincal aspects of deeper diving, cave diving, and decompression. I'm fed up with the LDSs in my area and the lines of BS they try to feed new divers as they convince anyone who is new to diving that they have to have an 85$ dry snorkel to SCUBA dive. I just don't trust them trying to train me when I see what kind of care they show to an OW student.

BCS once bubbled...

One other item, I do dive...quite a bit... and couldn't I use that same line on you??? You've spent much more time on this board than I ever will...:wink:...

Man, you cut me deep there. Cut me DEEP.

I guess my point with the back plate and wings in regards to travel is the weight. I failed to mention that. The airlines today want to charge you for everything. A BC weighs a few pounds when the plate alone weighs about 8 lbs. + easy. Charter flights (Small planes) usually have a maximum restriction of 30 lbs.

What do you recommend for those people that like small islands that are scuba divers? Small Islands that only small charter flights can get to.

And BCS, my point to you ealier was that you seemed to be bashing other "Instructors" and "Organizations". Yet you wanted to complain about people complaining. Never mind...

Jackets style BC's have worked for 20+ yrs. As I said in a post a few days ago. I've been there and done that with the BP & Wings. Each to there own. Try them both out before you buy. Buy what your comfortable with.

As I only have had my cert (PADI OW) for about a month now I am really new to all these diving related topics. But when I have searched the net for information on what to buy I have come across DIR and with that also GUE.

My opinion about the GUE way is that it is sounds very good, I wished they had basic OW classes. Why? Because thay have a well thougt out philosophy about diving, to keep it as safe as possible. When I'm going to buy equipment I will look into the DIR basic configuration, it may cost more than traditional eqipment but if I decide to start diving with doubles (which sounds like a good idea) I will save some money instead.

eod once bubbled...
As I only have had my cert (PADI OW) for about a month now I am really new to all these diving related topics. But when I have searched the net for information on what to buy I have come across DIR and with that also GUE.

My opinion about the GUE way is that it is sounds very good, I wished they had basic OW classes. Why? Because thay have a well thougt out philosophy about diving, to keep it as safe as possible. When I'm going to buy equipment I will look into the DIR basic configuration, it may cost more than traditional eqipment but if I decide to start diving with doubles (which sounds like a good idea) I will save some money instead.

It's not really more expensive. In fact it's less expensive than many alternatives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom