Water beading/bubbling through high pressure hose - do i have a leak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mtbr

Contributor
Reaction score
When I turn on my tank valve, I could see water droplets beading through the high pressure hose of my spg. I double checked today with the hose completely dry, and as I turned on the tank valve, water droplets again beaded through the hose.

My buddy bought the same exact hose from the same store, and he hose also has this problem. Is this normal or do I have a leak?

If there is no bubbles coming out of it your hose is fine. There is an outer shell on the HP hose and water in between the inner and outer shell gets squeezed out by water pressure

That would seem to be a very simple question. How can there be such opposite answers from two scuba instructors?

Your hose is fine.

Are the bubbles in a pattern? Some hoses are made with perforations in the outer layers so that bubbles will be apparent if there is a breakdown in the inner structure as opposed to forming a blister and growing.

Under normal conditions old water from a prior dive can get pushed out when re-pressurized. As mentioned this will usually be in a linear pattern along the hose. If it's just water getting forced out that's it. If there is a sustained bubble flow the hose is bad.

Pete

That would seem to be a very simple question. How can there be such opposite answers from two scuba instructors?

Gee that never happens on internet forums:D

Are the bubbles in a pattern? Some hoses are made with perforations in the outer layers so that bubbles will be apparent if there is a breakdown in the inner structure as opposed to forming a blister and growing.

Under normal conditions old water from a prior dive can get pushed out when re-pressurized. As mentioned this will usually be in a linear pattern along the hose. If it's just water getting forced out that's it. If there is a sustained bubble flow the hose is bad.

Pete

Wow! I never bothered to look for those perforations until you mentioned it.

So yes, there are linear perforations lines going down the length of the hose, and it is from water from the previous dive being squeezed out. I sprayed soapy water on the hose to confirm there is NO bubble/leak.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Soapy water is for cracks. Pressurize all your stuff preferably in a tub of water and check your spg after a couple of hours. All gear checked. Bingo. Remember to feed the garden.

Every HP hose has perforations in the outer sheath for the purposes stated. But it's all too common for air to bubble out of these whilst underwater. I've experienced this with all common makes of hose, but sporadically. A while back I bought a box (50?) of HP hoses and fitted about 10-12 straight off. Every one leaked like this. I sent the entire boxful back. I've had the problem with hoses from Scubapro, Sherwood, US Divers, DiveRite and Trident. There are probably other brands I've forgotten. QC for most scuba gear these days is cr**p.

Back
Top Bottom