Sidemount Attachments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba127

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Whats the best method/product to utilize when attaching lower portion of sidemount tanks to butt plate/d ring? Thanks in advance.

Butterfly snap, bolt snap, carabiner... there's an assortment of 'right' answers here...

The question that isn't asked is what is the best way of attaching the hardware to the tank? I think cam bands are the worst due to the tendency to slip. I prefer hose clamps due to their secure fit,and streamlined.

If you're diving with your own tanks, best thing is probably to put hose clamps on each and then use a dog clip for attaching them to butt plate (or waist D-rings or whatever).

If you are using "casual tanks" (that is, you rent them or you are traveling abroad etc)- then Cam bands is a better solution, with the same dog clips to attach to butt plate. It will give you a degree of freedom to put the Cam band on any tank and rig SM in a couple of minutes...

In any event, the position of the Cam band/hose clamp on the tank, AND, the length of dog clip (or the line the clip is tied to), will determine how easy it will be for you to clip/unclip the tanks during a dive.

Too tight- the clip extremely close to the clamp/Cam band may be difficult to handle, too slack- the clip is too far away from the tank it makes it easier to attach, but tanks will have some more freedom to move.

You'll have to experience a few dives until you figure out what is best for your choice of tanks, your height, the size of you plate etc.

Myself, I don't like carabiners or butterfly clips, the first is more difficult to handle with gloves, the latter is what I think some people call "suicide clips", is easier to handle with gloves but the potential risk to catch some stray fishing line or whatever. It is your choice how to manage the risks vs. benefit of using.

As you've probably noticed, there is no "single truth" about what is the best way to configure SM, but rather what works best for you, and don't be surprised if you start in some particular way and after some experience you try something different, only consensus is that most probably you don't go Back :wink:

Whats the best method/product to utilize when attaching lower portion of sidemount tanks to butt plate/d ring? Thanks in advance.
karstdiver:
The question that isn't asked is what is the best way of attaching the hardware to the tank? I think cam bands are the worst due to the tendency to slip. I prefer hose clamps due to their secure fit,and streamlined.
I use a piece of braided nylon (static) line looped (loop is ~ 5.5" long) around a large bolt snap (I personally prefer to avoid butterfly snaps). The loop is held in place on the tank by a cam band, with the loop knot positioned above the band, and the loop and bolt snap extending below the band. I don't use hose clamps for SM - they don't allow me to change the cam band position on the tank during a dive if I want to accomodate changes in tank buoyancy as I breath them down. For 'full size' tanks (7.25" and up) I use 2" cam bands. For smaller bottles (e.g. AL40s), I use the DR 1.5" bands. Tried those on bigger tanks and didn't feel they were secure enough.

...the latter is what I think some people call "suicide clips", is easier to handle with gloves but the potential risk to catch some stray fishing line or whatever...

Over 300 dives in sidemount with over 100 in very tight passage where the line is usually on the ceiling and I've yet to have line get caught in one of my butterfly clips. Position them facing in toward your back and it's not very likely.

Over 300 dives in sidemount with over 100 in very tight passage where the line is usually on the ceiling and I've yet to have line get caught in one of my butterfly clips. Position them facing in toward your back and it's not very likely.

Rob,
What advantage did butterfly clips give you? Snapbolts were initially a challenge for me, but it's getting easier.

they don't allow me to change the cam band position on the tank during a dive if I want to accomodate changes in tank buoyancy as I breath them down.

I've had experience with sidemounting for 10 years,and that is a new one. I don't think I have seen anybody pull a tank during a dive and change a band positioning. If someone uses the rear attachment point aka rails then tanks will float away,but that can be controlled by other methods than having to redo the cam band position. I have a strong preference for hip mounted tank placement on the harness,which prevents all the weaknesses of "rails".

I've had experience with sidemounting for 10 years,and that is a new one. I don't think I have seen anybody pull a tank during a dive and change a band positioning.
Interesting, I have seen several SM'ers who do that.
If someone uses the rear attachment point aka rails then tanks will float away,but that can be controlled by other methods than having to redo the cam band position.
I find adjusting the cam band position to be quite easy, it isn't necessary in most cases but can be done if needed, and was part of the training in the SM instrcutor course for me.
karstdvr:
I have a strong preference for hip mounted tank placement on the harness,which prevents all the weaknesses of "rails".
Would appreciate more insights into your experiences here. When I started out, I assumed that SM could simply be approached like diving decos/stages, and that hip mounted placement of the bottom tank attachment point was appropriate. I now dive a Nomad, and using rails is second nature. But, would be interested in your perspective on the 'weaknesses' of rails.

Interesting, I have seen several SM'ers who do that.I find adjusting the cam band position to be quite easy, it isn't necessary in most cases but can be done if needed, and was part of the training in the SM instrcutor course for me.

I've never seen anyone adjust camband placement mid-dive either. What exactly would it do for you? Who was your sidemount instructor?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom