Looking to get into DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gfyrasng

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife is getting set to get her OW cert next month to start diving with me. I've been certified for about 10 years now, but due to military and other obligations, I haven't had much of a diving career. I'm looking to change that in the near future. I've been interested in tech diving ever since I found out about it when I was to young to dive, and I'm looking forward to my wife and I taking a GUE primer and/or fundamentals sometime next year. I suppose the first question is what companies out there are good for back plates, wings, and regs? I've currently got pretty much a full scuba pro setup, which obviously won't work for DIR, but she doesn't have anything currently, so that may actually help in the long run. TIA

Wayne

Hi Wayne,
A quick comment before all the usual suspects jump in there.
We as a family didnt go into the DIR-friendly approach because of tech diving at all, but because of the safety, environmentally friendly, planning, awareness, etc, etc ... approaches that is being highlighted by GUE/DIR systems.

My wife has a DSS T26, she's ok with it, but she certainly doesn't care at all about the equipment brand, I dont much either, but I'm more under the influence of many (including SB ;-)

One comments that many have told us and we found hard to believe was that the earliest you get in there, the easiest it may be. We were kind of afraid of having to deal with too experimented divers, or were wondering that it may be better to get several hundreds dives before 'starting' the DIR-friendly approach.
But i think it is true, better getting to learn it right from the beginning ... We may even be too late to remove some bad fining habits.

While none of us are actually 'dir' certified yet (this summer), and our daughter will have to wait several years to get there, we are all switching this way, and my 12yo daughter is actually doing really good in the DSS T26 and with long hose. (she'll likely get a BP/W system of her own very soon).

Have fun !

My wife is getting set to get her OW cert next month to start diving with me. I've been certified for about 10 years now, but due to military and other obligations, I haven't had much of a diving career. I'm looking to change that in the near future. I've been interested in tech diving ever since I found out about it when I was to young to dive, and I'm looking forward to my wife and I taking a GUE primer and/or fundamentals sometime next year. I suppose the first question is what companies out there are good for back plates, wings, and regs? I've currently got pretty much a full scuba pro setup, which obviously won't work for DIR, but she doesn't have anything currently, so that may actually help in the long run. TIA

Wayne

Hi Wayne, look at the list of Gue Ins. In your area. You will find someone to accomodate you . That is a great community, i love it:dork2:My Fundies class starts on July 21-25th in Pennsylvania. We have 2spots open if you are int. Shoot me a PM. I will give you more info , Keith

Thanks stargost. I should have worded that differently. I'm not getting into DIR to get us into tech diving, but rather that my interest led me to DIR. The primary reason for wanting to get into DIR is for the educational/safety bennifits, although I do look forward to advancing my DIR education to cave diving.

Thanks keithdiver, but we're just now getting settled in. Just moved and started a new career, and so far I haven't located any instuctors in Texas. We're likely going to take some vacation time in FL next year to take the class.

gfyrasng, congratulations on deciding to pursue a DIR approach to diving. I think you will be glad you did.

There are quite a few brands of gear that work for the system out there now. What's important is that things fit, work together, and have the right amount of lift for the kind of diving you are doing. I don't know what size your wife is, but if she's on the small side, DSS (and I believe Halcyon) make small plates. DSS, I know, has a wobble-stopper setup that means you don't have to use a single tank adapter to secure your tank -- I think Oxycheq might have that, too, but I'm off Oxycheq gear myself because of customer service issues. DSS has grommets in the slots on the plate, which make adjusting the harness a little easier and protect the webbing. Halcyon has the new Infinity system, which permits adjustment and easy entry and exit from the harness, while preserving the location of the canister light and left hip D-ring, but the system is exceedingly expensive.

If you are interested in buying an entire rig at once, I would recommend DSS, simply because Tobin will take the time to make sure you buy something that will work for your wife. (Or for you, when you get that far.) He won't sell you something just because you want it (which sometimes annoys people, but I like it). Peter and I have a lot of DSS gear and have never been unhappy with any of it.

But the bottom line is that you have a lot of options, and what you choose will depend on what you prioritize and how important budget is to you.

If I can be of any specific assistance to you in this transition, please feel free to PM me. I'm happy to give any advice I can, or to give you ideas on how to get your education done when you get that far.

Has your wife considered taking GUE or UTD Rec 1 rather than training OW with someone else and doing Fundies later? It's expensive but supposed to be just amazing training.

Thanks keithdiver, but we're just now getting settled in. Just moved and started a new career, and so far I haven't located any instuctors in Texas. We're likely going to take some vacation time in FL next year to take the class.

If you are going to Florida, take a look at Silent world diving Center, Chris Brown is a great Instructor, and has a very heavy GUE presence in the community.

Thanks for all the info guys. Gsk3, I wasn't aware that the Rec1 level gave a person OW certification. Unfortunatly, there aren't any DIR instructors, and travel is not an option at this time. I think we'll have to "settle" for a more traditional OW cert, and make arrangements for later next year to start our DIR, plus we don't have any DIR equipment to go to class in right now. We're absolutly looking forward to a great diving career and can't wait to join the DIR community.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom