Painting Fins ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

z28pwr

Reaction score
Anybody know of a WaterProof Paint that I can use to paint my fins. It's very hard to see me since all my gear is black and wanted to paint my fins with something that would not eat up the plastic in the fins.

Thanks.

z28pwr once bubbled...
Anybody know of a WaterProof Paint that I can use to paint my fins. It's very hard to see me since all my gear is black and wanted to paint my fins with something that would not eat up the plastic in the fins.

Thanks.

Yep ... got a coupla things right here in my Save-a-Dive kit.

Mark-Tex makes a product called Brite-Mark. It's basically a waterproof felt-tip marker that somes in a variety of bright colors. I used one to paint my initials on my fins in bright orange. Been on there for more than 500 dives now, and still visible.

Trident makes a rubber paint that I used to paint a pattern on the bottom of my fins. It's not as durable, and eventually flakes off. But it will last for roughly 100 dives or so before you need to repaint it. I used white, and it's very visible in the murky water we typically dive in around here in the summer.

Both items should be available at your LDS. Each should run you around $5 or $6.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I too have used Brite-Mark to mark equipment and paint the bottom of my fins for underwater identification. They are easy to use and durable.

I spray paint my fins. I have to repaint them from time to time, but I've not had any problems. OTOH, I don't have plastic fins.

z28pwr once bubbled...

Thanks.

I used school bus reflective tape, available at Advance Auto, to mark fins and tanks.

It comes in black, that shows up brite reflective white on stuff.

You hardly notice it during the day.

Don't use the factory adhesive, use a good rubber contact cement.

I have several hundred dives on it, and it wears hard.

The camera flash makes it look white, but it looks like black electrical tape.

JustAddWater once bubbled...
I too have used Brite-Mark to mark equipment and paint the bottom of my fins for underwater identification. They are easy to use and durable.
In addition to fins, they are good for putting initials on integrated weight pockets so you can more easily fish them out of the pile.

Other divers have told me that the large "A"s I painted on my black fins really help visibility.

A tidbit of advice that comes from being asked " 'A' for Charlie??" a few times.... if you put on just one initial, use your first name :)

Charlie Allen

Charlie99 once bubbled...

[...]
Other divers have told me that the large "A"s I painted on my black fins really help visibility.
[...]

Been a few places now where the DMs have painted "Follow" on the left fin and "Me" on the right.

--Laird

lairdb once bubbled...
Been a few places now where the DMs have painted "Follow" on the left fin and "Me" on the right.

--Laird
I have 2 pairs of US Divers blades that are identical except that one pair is black, the other blue. I've been tempted to do like some DMs and wear one fin from each pair. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom