what do I need before take a cavern class.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jinzhere

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, I'm taking cavern class this weekend but I'm still nervous too. Is there anything about what I prepare? or practice?
Especially, I have no idea running reels.. Do I need practice for that? Any ideas?

jinzhere once bubbled...
Hello, I'm taking cavern class this weekend but I'm still nervous too. Is there anything about what I prepare? or practice?
Especially, I have no idea running reels.. Do I need practice for that? Any ideas?

You will cover the use of the reel in class. Better to have your instructor tell you how to do stuff rather than be practicing stuff the wrong way befor hand. Don't worry about it. You'll get the hang of it. But just remember, just because you pass the class doesn't mean you don't need to practice the skills afterwards. I think its important to stay current on all your dive skills, especially the ones in a course like cavern.

Where are you doing your training and with who? I'm sure you will have a great time and Ifind that folks can use the skills learned in cavern to improve thier ow skills.

running 'dry land' reel drills as part of my class.

You'll be shown the proper way to tie off and run lines. You'll also learn to follow a line with your eyes closed to simulate silt outs.

Relax and just see what the instructor has to show you...

Since I got my OW,AOW,NITROX... It took pretty long time for me because my husband, he is a DM&CAVE DIVER..I(We)went FL this
spring couple times just for his cave diving..I was too boring.
Sorry, I'm not a English speaker but I am pretty much understand this board.
By the way it's time to take a class and I will learn something about the cavern or cave(My husband told me"I'd like show you what I saw at the cave')
Tomorrow, I have to check all my equipments and I have to think about all my considerations....thanks.. all

Wendy once bubbled...

I'm sure you will have a great time and Ifind that folks can use the skills learned in cavern to improve thier ow skills.

Hi Wendy,

Can you elaborate on that? What skills improve? And how much experiance should one have before tking a cavern course??

WaterDawg once bubbled...

Hi Wendy,

Can you elaborate on that? What skills improve? And how much experiance should one have before tking a cavern course??

I think that a lot of divers become more aware of their bouyancy and trim after taking a cavern course. You also learn to not silt up the bottom, hovering skills, running lines, etc.

I'm not saying that divers don't already know these skills prior to taking a cavern course, I just see a lot of divers down here in Florida that could benefit from taking a course that focused on these skills.

Thanks,

Makes sence to me. It seems to me that not having those skills down, could make for a very interesting cave class.

Wendy once bubbled...

I think that a lot of divers become more aware of their bouyancy and trim after taking a cavern course.

This is very true. I was just explaining to my buddy that I didn't really learn bouyancy and trim in my cavern class, instead I learned what I needed to work on.

Cornfed

Last Thusday early in the morning we drove all the way downthere(800 miles, 12hrs) to Live oak,FL.
Friday morning I went to CAVE EXCURSIONS for my class. At this point I still don't know who is going to be my instructor. Bill renokers-the owner of the cave excursions (super nice man)- told me John Orlowski is my instructor. I knew his name and reputation. He was also my husband's instructor before.
Two days classes including 5dives with new environments are really worth to take,I think.
I am going to take a rescue course this weekend and also take a dry suit class as soon as I get my DUI(TLS350).After then I am plannig to take next steps for the cave diver.

Be safe and fun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom