ARGH!!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBaby

Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.aquastrophics.com/corres.htm

I read a thread a while ago when I first joined about online dive lessons....i saw this and I just couldnt believe its actually going on.

This webpage doesnt exactly looking greatly designed, if there diving lessons are as bad as there webpage, god knows what kind of divers there putting out into the waters!

I don't know of any instructor who would accept such a certificate in place of the academics portion.

This looks shady. There is no mention of an agency but they say that they will give you a certifate to any agency or dive shop in the U.S. I doubt that any shop or agency would accept it. But after you take the class I bet you couldn't get your money back after you couldn't find anyone to do the pool and OW sections.

Chad

Lake Havasu is a crazy place to begin with, maybe that has something to do with the scam. Without ordering it, it's difficult to know what they are offering. If it's taken from an agency, they are in for a lawsuit eventually. If it's home-brewed no one will take it seriously or honor it. Tis a lose-lose situation :rolleyes:

What's up baby?? Interesting at least. I won't even get into what I think about it... just plain GARBAGE... Ya know, the more and more I read about the goings on in the scuba world.. the happier I am about the fact that I trained in Southern California... in cold / low vis / with an instructor of 35 years teaching experience.

How could you be confident in an ONLINE scuba class... Sure am glad I had a NAUI class that taught me all sorts of stuff not even covered in most advanced classes...

Sure hope nobody has to die to shut this operation down

Once you have purchased that book, I have a video that shows me doing all the skills. Every time you hear me say "your name" during the commentating, just say your name. Once you have seen "your name" complete all of the required dive skills, "your name" will get a certificate good for any open water certification you want. Please fill out the form below.

Affilication:
[ ]Padi [ ]NAUI [ ]SSI [ ]YMCA
Date you completed your Video Dives ___/___/___
Grade you think you deserved [ ]90% [ ]95% [ ]100%

Look soon for the following:
Deepwater Diving (Video dive with "your name" to 450 feet)
Navigational Diving (2 miles in a TarPit underwater w/ "your name")

and my favorite
30 Minutes to Divemaster with "Your Name"

All of these will be coming to a shoddy scuba dealer near you soon!

With every order get a complimentary copy of 101 ways not to get lost underwater!

Here are a few items:

12) For Men listen carefully for nagging sounds, swim away from those sounds and you will never be lost, and who know someone else may find you.

26) Look for the nearest man, figure out his heading and go the opposite way, you will find his wife and the dock or boat in no time.

57) at 15 minutes past the hour look at what direction the nearest fish is swimming. At a quarter after the fish closest to you is required to swim towards your exit point. If you start running out of air while heading that way, don't worry the fish accounted for you lack of gills. Really!

Very good stuff syruss, you've been making me laugh for two days now, which has been difficult lately. Thanks man... :)

Originally posted by Wannadive
that was hillarious! Do you accept credit cards, I want the divemaster option, but I only have 20 minutes to work on it...that's enough time, right?

Yes I do accept credit cards. And 20 minutes should get you almost all the way to Assistant Instructor. The most important part of your training will be knowing that the fastest way to the surface is to hold onto a rock or other surface at about 60 feet after ditching your weights. Then take a full lungs worth of air and let go....

The ride is awesome, but don't exhale or you will ruin the ride and fail your test. If you get all the way to the surface without looking like the proverbial frog in the microwave exploding, you are Asst. Instructor material!

BTW: this is meant in jest please do not try this in the bathtub or other deep body of water! Unless of course you want to make the top of the Darwin Awards.

:mario:,

You will have to ask my wife, all I have going for me is humor, I am fat, ugly and for the most part not overly color coordinated, but hey she likes my cheap method of warming the bed and now just pulls my finger when she needs a little cozy warming effect....

It is interesting to note that the website that is being referred to here provides for "academic" instruction only. As it turns out, a novice diver's instruction in scuba is only as good as his/her instructor. The level of instruction that the diver gets has more to do with the instructors competance in teaching the material and the students interest in learning than the source of the material. Scuba diving has more to do with the body learning large motor skills, and reliably reacting with specific responses to diving situations that assures the divers safety.

True, a diver needs to intellectually understand what physically and physiologically happens in the marine environment, but where and when this intellectual understanding is achieved is mostly irrelevant to the learning process. The scuba student's instructor must assure that both the academic part of scuba instruction has been "learned and internalized" as well as the motor skills mastered prior to certification being conferred.

Because of this, mail order certification can never happen. Large motor skills can only be learned through demonstration , imitation, and repetition. In today's fast paced world, we will continue to see experiements in the ways that the intellectual understanding of the concepts encountered while diving can be accomplished. Some of the educational methods of the future may actually be beneficial to sport diving.

I do not know, or am I aware of the methodology that this website uses in their attempt to educate. I do, however, believe that we will see more and more innovation in scuba education from other sources, including our revered scuba training agencies.

Good diving to you all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom