When to start DIR training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BB1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Please no flames - this is a genuine question...

At what point is it suggested to change over and start doing DIR training??

I have just under 50 dives so far and wife is close behind. We are both currently PADI AOW but I am looking for a more focused training - hard to explain in words but I'm just not happy with the PADI/SSI training paths as they seem to be really watered down to just keep you coming back for just 1 more course and another snippet of knowledge.

Both of us skipped the usual spending route of jacket BCD etc etc, in no small part due to extensive reading on SB, and we are both kitted out with DSS BP/W singles setups with HOG regs c/w DIR length hoses. We carry nothing not necessary for the diving we are doing and we both love the feeling of freedom the BP/W gives us and the streamlining has had a noticeable affect on dive times over the previously used hire setups. I am very comfortable with my gear underwater and trim is reasonably ok (I get a little better every time I dive).

I want to get a program of learning worked out for our future that allows us to progress nicely without taking the fun out of it all by loading to much back to back.

What is my best course of action from here?? More dives first or find a GUE Primer or Rec Level ?? course?

I am still trying to work out where we would "fit" into the GUE Recreational traning track. I have looked at the GUE site but it isn't very clear.

Any advice appreciatted!

If you feel like that's the way you want to dive, then now. Take the Primer or go straight to the Fundamentals class. Rec 1 GUE's OW class. You can then progress from there.

I took Fundamentals after 30 dives last month in singles, learned a lot, and received a rec. pass. I wouldn't recommend waiting. It's a great class, and as long as your buoyancy is sufficiently sorted out to hover on the platform and watch the skills, you will benefit greatly from the class. Don't be so obsessed with getting a pass that you defer the class and practice. Unless you have a superb mentor, you will probably just ingrain bad habits.

Take the class :). If you're not sure or feel like you need some skill/equipment brushing-up, take Primer. It sounds like your equipment will be with the right range such that it won't need too much repurchasing, just the inevitable move this here and eliminate this widget touch-ups that Fundies is famous for.

Last edited:
Yes, take the "primer" so you'll know what you don't know.

Remember, its a class, so honestly you are ready when you want to take the class. That being said, the instructor around me always says that being able to control your position in the water column in 4-5m of water so that you can watch instruction and drills is the only "requirement." Best advice if you are worried about your buoyancy is take the primer. If not worried about buoyancy, take fundies. I would suggest that if you are going to the BP/W for the first time to get some practice dives in just to get used to the gear.

Get in touch with Liam or one of the other Australia instructors; he'll get you pointed in the right direction.

Good luck,
-Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom