recommendation for learning to scuba in Portland OR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrancisB

Reaction score
Hi,

I've decided to get recertified after not having been scuba diving in over 15 years. From just reading these boards the last few days, there seem to be a fair number of changes since I went through training almost 20 years ago.

To that end, I'm now in Portland Oregon, (as opposed to Cleveland OH, the mecca of diving where I learned :)

Can someone recommend a good LDS to get my OW and AOW? If I actually get into diving again, I may want to extend that to other advanced courses (I have a friend trying to talk me into going w/him to the Truk Lagoon in the future).

Any feedback / direction are appreciated.

thanks!
Francis

Contact Ellen at ellen@ellenquale.com and tell her that I sent you.

She's an experienced diver, long-time Portland, OR resident & nice, if a bit eccentric, woman. She'll know.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Francis,

I'm not familiar with the dive shops in Portland, however, I can recommend Thunderreef Diver's in Vancouver, WA. They are a 5 star PADI shop. I took some of my dive training at TRD, most recently the EFR instructor class. One of their instructor's is on our dive rescue team, if your interested PM me and I'll give you his name.

I was certified through ASISCUBA Adventure sports, Located on the corner of Burnside and Division in Gresham. They are an SSI shop, and I have been very pleased with the schooling I have recieved. After certification, Ron (the instructor) goes out of his way to keep you diving cheaply. In addition, Ron owns his own 27 foot boat. Our OW certs where done in the Sound on Sund rock off said boat. Ron is a Patient instructor and almost impossible to surprise or get riled up. Sorta like the Engineer in Galaxy Quest.

I _HIGHLY_ recommend him.

Also, If you feel that you need more instruction, look into Mount Hood Community College's SCUBA course. The Fee for the class is $54, Books run about $50 and Lab fees about $130. They are taught by Paul and Ron. Paul's OWI number is 33 to give you an idea how long he has been teaching. He is also an _EXCELLENT_ instructor.

Isn't Vancouver, BC is over 250 miles from Portland, Or?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

...he said Vancouver, Washington, Doc. Right across the river from Portland.

All,

thanks for the suggestions! I'll follow up on them. I logged in this morning, and saw a number of great leads. What a nice community.

Thanks again,
Regards,
Francis

Check out pnwscuba.com , contact Nicolle. She works out of a Vancouver shop but lives in Portland, I haven't taken a class from her but know some good divers who highly reccommend her.

Back
Top Bottom