Oil spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for this. Just got word of it myself. I read on an Egyptian news site that the spill had been entirely cleaned up in a matter of four days, with sources claiming the spilled oil only amounted to about 30 or 40 gallons. On another site, I read that the oil had caused a 20km slick. Is the first claim just government bs? Has the spilled closed down dive sites?

I'm interested to know as I will be traveling to Hurghada in early July.

On the grand scale, it is a minor spill. It is doubtful any serious environmental damage will occur.

I think that the greater damage is that people start thinking about their own money before thinking about the environment.

I think that since I want diesel for my boat, I have to live with the consequences.

Now, what REALLY pisses me off are the Europeans who demand boats to be BIGGER and BIGGER.... more and MORE divers using more and MORE fuel....

What would be the problem with a sailing boat? not ECONOMICAL enough to EXPENSIVE for the Europeans who DARE to have the hypocrisy to criticize.

Basically, don't dictate the solution if you are part of the problem.

There's a video on youtube claiming or seemingly from HEPCA. Not sure if it's an official video, but looks like the actual spill:

YouTube - Devastating Oil Spill in Red Sea, Geisum Wellhead.

And there's a photo of it here on facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?pid=31241367&id=1007823648&fbid=1427320155505

Another story from the syndicated media:
http://skynews.com.au/world/article.aspx?id=476025&articleID

Some more pics off Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/album.php?aid=2032371&id=134500453

HEPCA claims it's been cleaned up and all is wonderful and smily in the Red Sea again :)
http://www.hepca.com/red-sea-environment-news.aspx?#89

Last edited:
Copied from the CDWS statement on oil spill

...a...

Egypt’s Chamber of Diving and Watersports (CDWS) can confirm all member diving and watersports centres are operating as normal in the resorts of El Gouna and Hurghada following the recent oil spill. The spill, which has been classified as ‘limited’, is thought to have been caused by a leak at an offshore Red Sea oil rig situated 40 miles north of El Gouna.

According to latest information received by the CDWS, the main concentration of oil and the most polluted area is far north of El Gouna near a bird sanctuary. Around 12 hotels in the Hurghada and El Gouna area reported oil spills on beaches, however, the clean up of these areas for the last few days has been running successfully. It is hoped; most, if not all, oil washed up on the beaches will be cleared.

The Environment Affairs Agency (EEAA), together with the Center for the Combat of Petroleum Pollution and the Red Sea Protectorates Authority, is overseeing the clean-up operation.

CDWS cannot confirm the extent of the damage caused, however, CDWS member operations in the area have reported little signs of the spill. Dive centres from both El Gouna and Hurghada area, including Aquarius, Ilios Dive Club and Blue Brothers, said their guides had seen no signs of oil on the reefs and that following the clean up, most of the spill on shore had been cleared.

Hurghada-based conservation organisation HEPCA said in a recent statement that the efforts to contain the impact of the oil spill had been very successful.

‘More than 90 per cent of the beaches north of Hurghada were cleaned and the manual collection method has proven to be very successful,’ said the HEPCA statement. ‘Most of the hotels and resorts have informed us that their beaches are back to normal. More efforts are expected regarding the clean up of the northern islands of Um El Luhaimat and Tawila which are located around 30 miles north of Hurghada.’

...and here comes the HEPCA News Letter from this morning...

...a...

The community of the Red Sea has once again stood up to protect our environment, livelihood and health. The valiant efforts of fishermen, dive operators, hotels and the local government to control the spill must be commended. The governorate has committed all its resources in manual cleanups at nearly all affected beaches in cooperation with the local community. The cleanup efforts over the past five days have been outstanding, over 90% of the impacted beaches on the mainland have been entirely cleaned, and work is still ongoing. Dive operators have expressed their relief that there is no apparent damage to any dive sites; and that business is back to normal.

The Northern Islands protected area is the most heavily impacted region. These islands are one of the few pristine areas in the northern Egyptian Red Sea, and are of high ecological value as they host a number of key habitats, including mangroves, sea grass beds, protected bird nesting grounds, turtle nesting grounds and an extensive reef system.

The spill was from an oil rig approximately fifty nautical miles north of Hurghada that began to leak on Wednesday the 16th of June; the leak has been sealed.

We are still fervently awaiting the Nature Conservation Sector’s assessment of the damages at as well as a statement declaring the identity of the rig that is visibly spewing out the oil!

The damage to Egypt's natural resources is a crime that must not go unpunished; and the complicity of any party with such a crime must be revealed and condemned. This incident clearly reveals that the oil concessions of the Ministry must be reconsidered especially any concessions near key habitats, protected areas and tourism hot spots.

We must continue to push as a community for the protection of our natural environment we must take a collective stand and clearly state that we shall not allow corruption and greed to destroy our ecosystem, livelihood and health.

I have been checking the online sources and dont see any more information about the spill.
Thinking about flying out to Marsa Alam next week.
Anybody have any news about the Oil Spill?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom