Evolve 40 LB wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just acquired an Evolve 40 Lb wing. I currently own a set of double 72's. I am sure the wing will work with those. One day I hope to own a set of double HP 100's. Will the 40 Lb wing work for those also?Compared to my eclipse 40 Lb wing (for single tanks)and my Dive Rite Rec wing (which I am currently using for the 72's) this thing looks huge.

After much debate and consultation with GUE, UTD, and TDI instructors I decided on (was recommended to) a 40lb Evolve wing from Halcyon for my double HP 100s. I dive cold water drysuits and aspire towards tech training in the future. The math (How Much Lift Do I Need) works out fine for double HP 100's plus a stage.

I've 20 dives on the rig now and I really enjoy it. Plenty of lift on the surface and easy to manage at depth. Because it is a smaller wing it is "fuller" than a larger wing for comparable lift, which may mean less streamlining, but also means easier to dump the air/manage the bubble.

If I was moving shortly to bigger tanks I may have gone with a bigger bladder. As it is this setup is fine for up to long "Tech 1" dives.

YMMV!

VI

After much debate and consultation with GUE, UTD, and TDI instructors I decided on (was recommended to) a 40lb Evolve wing from Halcyon for my double HP 100s. I dive cold water drysuits and aspire towards tech training in the future. The math (How Much Lift Do I Need) works out fine for double HP 100's plus a stage.

I've 20 dives on the rig now and I really enjoy it. Plenty of lift on the surface and easy to manage at depth. Because it is a smaller wing it is "fuller" than a larger wing for comparable lift, which may mean less streamlining, but also means easier to dump the air/manage the bubble.

If I was moving shortly to bigger tanks I may have gone with a bigger bladder. As it is this setup is fine for up to long "Tech 1" dives.

YMMV!

VI

That makes me very happy.I also dive a dry suit in mostly cold water. I have so much equipment that "they" just try and sell you with out any consideration of which direction one is interested in going. I think I have finally fined tuned my gear selection to be where I am now and may go in the future. Thank You

I have an Evolve 40 and it works well with my Worthington LP85s. Be careful, though, not to let the bottom edge of the wing slip under the tanks when you set them down--you could pinch the inner bladder and damage it. The 100s are shorter, so it will be a bigger issue with them.

(I'd also recommend replacing the dump valve with the one Tobin from DSS makes with the thicker string. Easier to grab with gloves on, and about 2 minutes to install.)

I have an Evolve 40 and it works well with my Worthington LP85s. Be careful, though, not to let the bottom edge of the wing slip under the tanks when you set them down--you could pinch the inner bladder and damage it. The 100s are shorter, so it will be a bigger issue with them.

(I'd also recommend replacing the dump valve with the one Tobin from DSS makes with the thicker string. Easier to grab with gloves on, and about 2 minutes to install.)
Ron very well put. Everything that u said makes complete since.:D

I had to borrow an Evolve 40lb wing for my Fundies class and loved it. My only issue with the wing itself is the price, so when I bought a new wing I bought HOG but IMO it's all just stuff, the diver makes it work. BTW I was mixing it up between HP100s and AL80s doubles.

Peace,
Greg

Gongrats on the wing. 40lb will work perfect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom