Best Resps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twatto

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new on the diving scene, and am currently in the state of fighting against my lungs in an attempt to prolong dive time by conserving air. I'm still at the stage of being consciously aware of my breathing technique.

I guess it's easy to say "breathe normally" - but that's something I'm not quite accustomed to at this early stage of diving. Is it better to take slow deep inhalations / exhalations? Maintain a small tidal volume? slow inspiration, quick expiration.

i've often watched our dive guides - and in my rather prolonged expiration phase, all I see from them is a short burst of exhaled air, compared with my long trail of bubbles? ...... confused....

Two things will help with your air consumption: experience and a pair of running shoes.

Getting into fitness swimming is the best thing you can do. You are going to get about 3 zillion answers that say "Get relaxed", "Breath normally", "get in better shape".

Learning how to swim properly will do the following for you:

- Get you into excellent aerobic condition.
- Greatly improve your comfort in the water.
- Greatly improve your breath control.
- Greatly improve your efficency in the water.
- Greatly improve your feel for the water (better boyance control and sense of current speed/power)

It does not happen overnight but if you are training at a moderate to hard level, you should start seeing results in two to three months. Remember that 200 yard swim they made you do for your Open Water cert? That will literally be no more difficult than going up 2 flights of stairs (which will also get easier).

The down sides is that it is a time commitment. Minimum is a full hour 3 times a week (no skipping!) Also for guys you are going to end up wearing a speedo, but you can get over that in a week or so.

If you are interested in trying this out, you should look around your area for a "Masters swim team". "Masters" is the catch phrase the swim industry uses for swim teams for "older" people (generally 22 - 99+). It should be possible to find a variety of teams. You want one that competes occasionally. If you get on a team that does not compete, then you will probably not get the best training. You probably will not be able to get on a team that is very focused on competition. These teams take people of any experience level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom