Lost camera and fin at Venice Beach June 19 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceanbound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So glad SB has this section now!

While shore diving near Sharkeys, on the left hand side of parking lot, left of Sharkeys, on Saturday, I learned some valuable lessons as well as loss some equipment. One was my new camera, and housing, the other was one of my yellow fins. The camera has my name and cell number inside the case, the fin does not. would love to get them back as i just learned the hard way that DAN insurance does not cover loss of items on a dive while in the divers possession

I was luckly enough to not have put the stobes on the camera. but now have a stobe and light with no camera But if anyone were to come across them, please pm me and I can give more detail about the items.

Was it a floater or a sinker?
DAN insurance does not cover loss of items on a dive while in the divers possession
Dive insurance or gear insurance?

Good luck!

It was suggested on the other "loss" thread that I should list the make and model of the camera in case it shows up on ebay or craigs list. It a Canon Powershot SX1 is with an Iklite housing. No flashes were attached.

I'm still kinda surprised DAN gear insurance wouldn't cover the loss, even tho it does sound like a klutz move to let it float away slowly. My Personal Articles Policy paid on my klutz loss ok, but after 2 in 2 years - they're canceling me. :(

Don, this is the response i got from the insurance claim:

Good morning! At this time we have completed our investigation of your claim. The equipment was lost while in your care, custody and control. According to your Divers PAC Policy, this specific loss is excluded. I would like to direct your attention to your policy form that states:

1. Property Insured
This policy insures Scuba and Camera Equipment as described in the Declarations to which this form is attached.
5. Perils Excluded

This policy does not insure against:
a. Loss or damage which is due and confined to wear and tear, inherent vice, gradual deterioration, corrosion, insects, vermin, freezing, extremes of temperature, mechanical or electrical breakdown or failure, unless such damage is the result of other loss covered by this policy.
b. Loss or damage caused by or resulting from delay, loss of market, loss of use, interruption of business;
c. Unexplained loss, mysterious disappearance, or shortage disclosed upon taking inventory
d. ITEMS LOST WHILE IN YOUR CARE, CUSTODY AND CONTROL – WHILE IN USE BOTH IN AND OUT OF THE WATER, DROPPED OVERBOARD OR SWEPT OVER-BOARD

A letter will be sent to you for your records. If you have further information that you wish us to consider or wish to discuss this claim, please feel free to contact me.

as sucky as it is, there it is

after I received the above response, I also asked what it would recover.

"I did see this after I filed the claim. But now that I'm thinking about it what would the insurance have covered?I do have the camera listed on several dive boards and it had my name inside the housing so one can only hope. Lisa"

there resonse:

"Good afternoon! The policy covers theft of your equipment along with water damage and property damage. If you would have recovered the equipment, I would have been able to cover any damage sustained."

Grrrr! :mad: It was an accident! Sadly, this encourages the customer to file a theft report rather than an honest loss report in such cases. Damn!

Dang, and expensive rig for my tastes. Good luck.

Yes, your right about filing a theft claim is very appealing, but I can't do it as it's just not my style. Somehow or another Karma would get me for it LOL

and it was a well deserved gift for myself. But it was some klutzy moves which caused me to loose it. Expensive lessons which have been learned and will be very well remembered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom