scuba with a cast! Yay!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fearguis

Reaction score
I imagine this will sound crazy, but such is my life. I just broke my damn ankle, and will be in a cast for 2 months. Unfortunately, my yearly trip to Aruba is in 1 month. I WILL be diving while I'm there.

One thing I'm considering, is just doing it, going back to the doc, and having him replace the cast if it's an issue. But my other option is simply to protect the cast.

Has anyone ever attempted to do this? I don't think a wetsuit will help much, so I'm trying to come up with an alternative, possibly painting some melted rubber over the whole damn ensemble. I'm at a loss, right now.

Any suggestions are appreciated...

fearguis once bubbled...
I imagine this will sound crazy, but such is my life. I just broke my damn ankle, and will be in a cast for 2 months. Unfortunately, my yearly trip to Aruba is in 1 month. I WILL be diving while I'm there.

One thing I'm considering, is just doing it, going back to the doc, and having him replace the cast if it's an issue. But my other option is simply to protect the cast.

Has anyone ever attempted to do this? I don't think a wetsuit will help much, so I'm trying to come up with an alternative, possibly painting some melted rubber over the whole damn ensemble. I'm at a loss, right now.

Sounds kind of risky. Seems like a cast would become a brick if it got wet.

You could probably wrap it in a trash bag and apply a liberal amount of duck tape.

I dont think diving would be to much fun with only one fin anyway.

Have you talked to your doctor about getting an inflatable cast instead of the plaster one? If it's an option in your treatment you might be able to remove it and then put some type of brace on to immobilize it for diving.

I'd at least ask the doctor. But still do what's best for my ankle in the long run. The ankle is bound to be a p-i-t-a if it heals incorrectly.

Paula

If your DM allows it, it is possible to dive with one fin. I was at Fantasy Island in Roatan with a buddy that had a bad wheel, and she wore one extra long fin. She'd cross her bad unfinned foot over the good one and do a dolphin-like kick, it took some practice, but it seemed to work fine, and she got to dive with us. (even at Mary's Place, which is a narrow crack in the reef that takes some control). The rest of us would help her out getting to the edge of the boat and get her stuff on.
She did not have a fracture, though, so I might ask a doctor about the effects of pressure on a broken bone first.

fearguis once bubbled...

I'm calling this a troll unless I see a picture of you in your cast...LOL

Oh please....Diving requires good limbs...diving with a jeopardized limb is risky....

And if you later claim you dived with a cast on, be prepared to show pics....

caliscuba once bubbled...
Please...dive with a buddy if you do this...and make sure to tell him where to send the body.

Give me a break. She's not going to die.

Go back to your doc and ask if you can get a removable cast or splint for the trip and maybe get a cast put back on later. They can slap a good fiberglass splint or two on there and send you home with it wrapped up in an ace bandage.

Also check with the dive operation to make sure they don't say no.

I agree with the diving with one fin thing... and I'd say stick to easy dives. I have no idea what diving in Aruba is like, but stay away from currents or inclement weather and swells and the like.

Good luck, and get pictures! :wink:

Consider asking your doc for a fibreglass cast. They are stronger, lighter, and waterproof. We use em on dogs, cause they never listen when you tell em not to get their cast wet. I would get it cut off when you get home, and replaced, because the cast padding will be all compressed and bunched. Bouyancy of fibreglass could be an issue too......ankle weight may be helpful.
Good luck.

Wetvet

First of all, I'm not a troll! And secondly, I'm not a woman! hehe

Seriously, though. The inflatable cast may be an option, but I doubt it. Also, this will not be a difficult dive at all. I was planning on going to a max of 150 feet, (to see a nice wreck), but that's not necessary. I'll probably stay at about 75 or so.

Pressure should not be an issue, as I'll actually be fairly well healed anyway. (I'll be off crutches by the time we get there, but the cast has to stay)

I'll see if I might be able to get a bigger fin, and try the suggested. But I'm still concerned about damaging the cast...

Back
Top Bottom