Side Mount Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba127

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Question on regs for side mount: Do regs with rotary turrets on the first stage help alot with hose routing or is this feature just nice to have? Thanks in advance.

Question on regs for side mount: Do regs with rotary turrets on the first stage help alot with hose routing or is this feature just nice to have? Thanks in advance.

Yep, the rotating turrets make a huge difference. If you use first stages that have all the LP ports in say, a square pattern, like is good for a BM doubles setup, it will make the hose routing on sidemount irritating. Just MHO...

I don't see much of a difference either way. I use Aqualung Legends as my sidemount regs and my hoses are streamlined and have never posed any issues, even in some of the small passages I've gotten stuck in. And that's over 300 dives in sidemount with those regs.

Yep, the rotating turrets make a huge difference. If you use first stages that have all the LP ports in say, a square pattern, like is good for a BM doubles setup, it will make the hose routing on sidemount irritating. Just MHO...
In your experience, do you find these regs much easier for cave diving? :idk:

He's not a cave diver, James.

It shouldn't make a difference at all. You have plenty of options for hose routing if you know your system.

He's not a cave diver, James.
I figured as much. Just as someone who's new to sidemount, I like to know how much experience the person suggesting ideas has before adopting them. Part of the reason why I PM people I know rather than post on public boards for advice...

I don't see much of a difference either way. I use Aqualung Legends as my sidemount regs and my hoses are streamlined and have never posed any issues, even in some of the small passages I've gotten stuck in. And that's over 300 dives in sidemount with those regs.

My experience is opposite yours. I've had much better luck using DST first stages with a rotating turret for side mount. However, I've got 4 regs (Apeks Tek3 all ports on same side) that I'd love to put back to work. Could you post some pictures of your hose routing?

Thanks,
Max
DSAT 198186

Last edited:
I tried both sidemount and both work, both offer pros and cons and whether one is better or not depends in part on what you are trying to with your configuration and in large part on personal preference.

I think that you will find that either will work. Just use what you have and do some experimenting to find the best routing that works for you. Personally I use DS4's for my first stages. The right tank has the long hose and drysuit inflator hose and the left has a 28" hose to bungeed second stage and my BC inflator. Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom