Farallon USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DT

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've been trying to get in touch with any one at Farallon USA in Ottawa Canada to order some spare parts but after 12 phone calls to there business with no pick up and a half dozen emails with the same response I have come to the conclusion that after 40+ years the company has gone under. Its a shame a bloody shame. I think Rudy should at least post some type of update on his web site or take it down. I guess with the failure of the DiveRite rebreather and IANTD agrements things just went down hill after that. Any one want to buy a MK 7

:angrymob:

Last edited:
DT:
I've been trying to get in touch with any one at Farallon USA in Ottawa Canada to order some spare parts but after 12 phone calls to there business with no pick up and a half dozen emails with the same response I have come to the conclusion that after 40+ years the company has gone under. Its a shame a bloody shame. I think Rudy should at least post some type of update on his web site or take it down. I guess with the failure of the DiveRite rebreather and IANTD agrements things just went down hill after that. Any one want to buy a MK 7

:angrymob:

I'll refer you to this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dive-propulsion-vehicles/329537-spare-parts-farallon.html

At the end of the day the Farallon scooter is an antiquated design, and the company based on smoke and mirrors.

X

Thanks but I wouldn't go as far as calling the MK 7 and 8 antiquated they are an amazing DPV and still being used by Navy's world wide. I don't think any of the scooter fabricators are doing well in this economy and in a sport that is very expensive.

Last edited:
Good reply DT. Yes, "Farallon USA" may not be around to help but there is a small "cottage industry" of people working to keep the older Farallons working. As has already been discussed, seals (o-rings) are quite easy to come by. They can be ordered from industrial seal catalogs. The shaft seal as well as motor parts are also relatively easy to come by... GE industrial catalog parts. The only real issue for those with older Farallons are the electronics. While it is possible to find most if not all of the replacement components, you now have to essentially rebuild the boards yourself (or have a friend that is handy with a soldering iron and wiring diagram). I myself still use two fantastic MK3s that I would not trade for anything.

Yes, they are heavy (being made from aluminum) but with a depth rating of 400 ft and a speed that will not disappoint anyone (never mind the headlight in the nose), they are hard to beat if you have the time (and skill) to work on them.

To each their own. :)

Regards,
Ltstanfo

It is a shame that Rudy has no customer service. (Or anyone working for him)
At least when the guys in Atlanta had it, you could get parts and service. too bad that Rudy bought them out and let it die. I know of at least one guy that sent his unit up for servicing (from Hawaii two years ago) and still can not get a hold of Rudy.
I hate to talk bad about anyone but he should at least put something on his site as to what is going on! I have tried to get with him, to get parts to stock so there is someplace to help you guys out. But I can’t get him either.
I gave up tiring last year. So good luck guys.

I was in Ottawa just today and tried to track down Farallon the main address is in a office tower in down town Ottawa I didn't bother trying to find a parking spot. The test facility is somewere in Quebec.

Good reply DT. Yes, "Farallon USA" may not be around to help but there is a small "cottage industry" of people working to keep the older Farallons working. As has already been discussed, seals (o-rings) are quite easy to come by. They can be ordered from industrial seal catalogs. The shaft seal as well as motor parts are also relatively easy to come by... GE industrial catalog parts. The only real issue for those with older Farallons are the electronics. While it is possible to find most if not all of the replacement components, you now have to essentially rebuild the boards yourself (or have a friend that is handy with a soldering iron and wiring diagram). I myself still use two fantastic MK3s that I would not trade for anything.

Yes, they are heavy (being made from aluminum) but with a depth rating of 400 ft and a speed that will not disappoint anyone (never mind the headlight in the nose), they are hard to beat if you have the time (and skill) to work on them.

To each their own. :)

Regards,
Ltstanfo

I have and run a Mk I so I understand your love for yours. Do you know of anyone who has propellers for any of the models? I find it about the only part i can't get or make mylelf on mine.

Thanks,

Mitch

The MK 1 Farallon prop is a very very old style trolling motor prop i'm sure if you looked around in places like Sailerman "boat scrap yard" in Florida you could find one to match.

Good Luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom