Oceanic white-tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arfy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there

I'm looking to do Brothers / Daedalus / Elphinstone for the primary purpose of photographing oceanic white-tips and I'm aware that autumn is a particulary good time on this itinerary.

I have my eye on a trip from 24 September to 1 0ctober - there is a chance I may be able to defer the trip until the end of October, however for various reasons the end of September suits me better.

My query is, does there tend to be a lot more oceanics around at Bros / Daed / Elph by the end of October compared with the end of September?

If it was the case that the chances of seeing more oceanics considerably increase by the end of October then I may well have to do a later trip.

I've done this particular itinerary a number of times (never in the autumn), and have never dived with oceanics yet - but now that I am a complete shark fanatic I'm itching to get some down time with them!

Cheers

Ben

Best ive seen was end of October off Big Brother. 2 days effectively of white tips.

Usually in 3-4m depth around the boat.

I think weäve already talked about this on YD forum but hey... there are more divers out there in the world than those of YD so why not give the same info to all of them?

Longimanus are common in the Red Sea. It's a natural habitat for them. In-depth studies show migration routes, count and catalogue individual animals with help of photographs of colour patterns on fins. Right now the Scientist managing the program, Dr Elke Bojanowski is in the initial stadium of tracking individual sharks with a satellite tag system. LONGIMANUS PROJECT - RED SEA

According to the studies the longimanus hang around northern half of the Red Sea in the wintertime, November to January. The northern half is a big area but normally they are mostly seen around the off shore islands and reefs and mainly in the area we call “Deep South”. Last winter they have been seen all the way up to Sharm el Sheikh area and actually quite frequently on divesites like Abu Kafan and Panorama in Safaga. There have even been longimanus spotted (and silkies) around Thistlegorm and even further up north. Take a look at RED SEA YEAR - TIME TABLE for info on what happens when and where in the Red Sea.

But, to answer your question. Yes you will have a better chance to see them in late November than late September. This being said… You need to be at the right place at the right time looking in the right direction… Best chance I would say is to go on a trip with Dr Elke Bojanowski on her special “shark Week” where she gives talks in the evenings about all different kind of sharks, their anatomy, behaviour, habitat and how to dive with them. She’s fantastic!

......a.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom