Does fundies teach nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gfyrasng

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just curious if the fundies class teaches the use of nitrox, of if that's supposed to be completed before class begins. I've been thinking of taking a nitrox class later this year, but if it's taught in fundies, I'll hold off.

You will learn Nitrox for 32% only but most people taking the class had a Nitrox class before. Gue only uses 32% to 100 feet then we switch to a better gas.

Fundies does cover nitrox (and certifies you for 32%).

If you're looking to take nitrox, learn about DIR, and gain the skills of Fundies, don't hold off, sign up for a Fundies class soon!

It does indeed. My only Nitrox cert is through Fundies. Did exactly what you are thinking about...held off because it didn't make sense to pay for it twice.

Although I will say that the Fundies nitrox instruction is geared towards standard gases, so if you expect to find yourself in a situation where you won't have 32% available and will need to do the calculations by hand (e.g. using tables instead of a computer), it may be worth doing the other classes. 32% seems to be widely available though, and the calculations really aren't that hard.

Just curious if the fundies class teaches the use of nitrox, of if that's supposed to be completed before class begins. I've been thinking of taking a nitrox class later this year, but if it's taught in fundies, I'll hold off.

If you are diving semi-regulaily I would think you would want to move forward with nitrox certification now in order reap the benfits and to a lesser extent to have a fully compliant certification for up to a 40% mix...

Thanks for the info guys.

It does indeed. My only Nitrox cert is through Fundies. Did exactly what you are thinking about...held off because it didn't make sense to pay for it twice.

Although I will say that the Fundies nitrox instruction is geared towards standard gases, so if you expect to find yourself in a situation where you won't have 32% available and will need to do the calculations by hand (e.g. using tables instead of a computer), it may be worth doing the other classes. 32% seems to be widely available though, and the calculations really aren't that hard.

The reality is that if nitrox is available then 32% will be available. If nitrox (32%) isn't available it will be air.

I don't know of anyone diving 38% recreationally. 28 or 30% are possibilties with non-DIR buddies, although I presume that GUEF would give you the tools to address these circumstances if you chose to do these dives.

The reality is that if nitrox is available then 32% will be available. If nitrox (32%) isn't available it will be air.

I don't know of anyone diving 38% recreationally. 28 or 30% are possibilties with non-DIR buddies, although I presume that GUEF would give you the tools to address these circumstances if you chose to do these dives.

I hardly see anyone diving 32% recreationallly in this being one of the busiest dive ports in the world. Most active S. Florida/Keys fill-stations employ the partial pressure fill method. Increased BT in the motivation for richer mixes as I am sure you know...

Personally, I love the 120 rule as I usually dive on 80ft+ reefs/sites...

I think rjack's (first) point was that if you can get PP blending then you can have them blend you up a custom mix of...32% ;-)

So does fundies teach beyond the standard gas mixes? Do they teach you about MODs, pP02s, EADs, best mixes, etc? I am taking fundies, so I dont know or sure, but I think this would be important to know before blowing off nitrox totally, since it comes in handy when trying to understand decompression ideas. It hasn't bothered me though; I took NAUI nitrox, but it should be important to the OP i would think.

If GUE doesn't teach all that about nitrox then I would suggest additional reading such as Deco for Divers, or a TDI, IANTD, NAUI text on the subject.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom