2009 tahoe benchmark posted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disappointing, I thought they where holding it up to add the Magnus. Glad the Cudya is still #1:mooner:

I would like to thank all persons who developed and participate with the Tahoe Benchmark each year . I hope next year to enter the trials with a competitive DPV . I think a obstacle course would be a prudent addition to the event as handling performance is over all a priority . The endurance run at full power with rest stops does seem odd because it would hide any motor or electrical overheating problems if they do exist . The use of swim fins does not seem to be a safety issue if were eliminated and to avoid any unfair advantage .

I would like to thank all persons who developed and participate with the Tahoe Benchmark each year . I hope next year to enter the trials with a competitive DPV . I think a obstacle course would be a prudent addition to the event as handling performance is over all a priority . The endurance run at full power with rest stops does seem odd because it would hide any motor or electrical overheating problems if they do exist . The use of swim fins does not seem to be a safety issue if were eliminated and to avoid any unfair advantage .

The report specifically mentioned a unit that had the overheating problem and the company has sense upgraded the fuse, so cool stuff does come from this testing.

My original post no disrespect at all on the benchmark, thanks James and all the rest.

Disappointing, I thought they where holding it up to add the Magnus. Glad the Cudya is still #1:mooner:

Not sure what ever gave you that Idea. No where have the organizers ever said the report was pending testing of the Magnus.

The SS Magnus did not even exist when the '09 Tahoe testing was conducted. The UV26 OTOH did exist, the problem was the example of the UV 26 tested in July of '09 was later discovered to be non representative of the current UV26.

Tobin

I would like to thank all persons who developed and participate with the Tahoe Benchmark each year . I hope next year to enter the trials with a competitive DPV . I think a obstacle course would be a prudent addition to the event as handling performance is over all a priority . The endurance run at full power with rest stops does seem odd because it would hide any motor or electrical overheating problems if they do exist .

The dwell periods at the end of each 1/4 mile run is used to mimic the duty cycle seen in real world use. There were heating problems last year BTW. The enduro test is very effective in exposing these.

The use of swim fins does not seem to be a safety issue if were eliminated and to avoid any unfair advantage .

Really? Ever used a real tech scooter? At 2.5+ mph you can't effectively kick anyway. You do need fins to steer.

I find your suggestion that the test divers might intentionally slant the results to be insulting.

Tobin

The use of swim fins does not seem to be a safety issue if were eliminated and to avoid any unfair advantage .

There's a great deal of discussion regarding the test on decostop, and it seems numerous controls and datapoints exist to crosscheck the performance of specific divers against each other and against the different models tested. The upshot is, even if a test diver tried to impact the results of a particular scooter or test, it would be immediately obvious in the data.

I was not aware swim fins are necessary to steer a technical DPV . I assumed it would steer as easily as the one built by myself . Yes a slow scissor kick will increase your speed noticeable at 2.5 + mph . My idea with a obstacle course would surely fit in the real world use as one would maneuver around objects and make 90 and 180 degree turns

Hello!

Thanks for seeing that the updated version of the 2009 Benchmark has been re-released. Our apologies for the delay, this has truly been an exceptionally long winter, and we completed the testing of the factory UV-26 as quickly as we could.

The Tahoe Benchmark grew from our own curiosity: just what was the real ranges of our personal scooters? The Benchmark grew from this, and in it's current iteration, we have difficulty completing testing in a week. As much as we would truly love to add several other testing criteria, such as was suggested above (maneuverability), we are task loaded to reliably investigate such simple parameters such as range and speed.

If there are ANY questions about the testing, please, ask them! We'll answer them to the best of our ability.

All the best, James

I was not aware swim fins are necessary to steer a technical DPV . I assumed it would steer as easily as the one built by myself . Yes a slow scissor kick will increase your speed noticeable at 2.5 + mph . My idea with a obstacle course would surely fit in the real world use as one would maneuver around objects and make 90 and 180 degree turns

From my unscientific experience a slow scisor kick would likely slow you down at even half that speed.

Have any pictures of your homebuilt DPV? I'd love to build one but I don't know where to even start.

Back
Top Bottom