Salvage a VW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divermasterB

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Anybody got an estimate of how much lift I would need to raise a VW (about 1900 lbs) in fresh water?

I know I could just assume it is going to take a ton of lift, but I know archimedes says I can get by with some number smaller than that. Unfortunately I can't find a reference to tell me how much water a VW would displace.

Also any estimate on what a VW engine weighs? I don't think this one has one in it so that would decrease the amount of lift I need.

Just out of curiosity, what is the law re: salvage, if you find something in the lake or ocean on a dive, is it finders keeprs? zeN||

divermasterB once bubbled...
Anybody got an estimate of how much lift I would need to raise a VW (about 1900 lbs) in fresh water?

I know I could just assume it is going to take a ton of lift, but I know archimedes says I can get by with some number smaller than that. Unfortunately I can't find a reference to tell me how much water a VW would displace.

Also any estimate on what a VW engine weighs? I don't think this one has one in it so that would decrease the amount of lift I need.

What kind of a VW?

R..

...and laws vary between fresh and salt water. Some of the oldest laws on the books have to do with salt water salvage rights. Perhaps someone else has the specifics. I'd toss it at Bob3 who has been a commercial diver for nearly as long as I've been on the planet and see what he thinks...

If the bottom is not excessively muddy and it is close to shore, just rent a wrecker, run a line to the bug and tow it out of the water.

Salvage laws vary from state to state and in some cases from municipality to municipality. I know on one of the rivers where I dive looking for items that fell in the water off what used to be a pier for a trading post from the early 1800's that if I bring an obect out on one side of the river, it automatically belongs to the city. If I bring it out on the other side, I can keep it because the city on that particular bank has no law covering salvage. This normally means everything gets hauled across to the other side of the river.

In general, if you find something with a title, you don't own it, but you are entitiled to a salvage fee. This is normally about 20% of the items value. If the item is pretty hopeless in terms of restoration potential, you will often get it by default.

In one case I found a motorcycle that had been stolen and then dumped off a bridge. It had been under water maybe a day and a half and was in excellent shape. I recovered it with the intent of rinsing it out, drying it and lubricating the interal parts to prevent corrosion but was unable to do this as I made what turned out to be a mistake in calling the police immeditately to report the find.

They insisted on immediately taking it into custody. About 3 months later they called and said neither the owner or insurer wanted it and that I could have it. They obviously made no effort to prevent any corroison and had simply parked it in a warehouse. One look at the corroded remains was enough to prompt me to advise them that I didn't wan't it either and that they could have the burden of throwing it away.

If you salvage a car for the owner or their insurance company, agree on the recovery fees up front. This usually means the car sits a few days while the details get worked out. I normally charge $200 to show up and $100 per hour after that for salvage or repair work.

A pair of 55 gal drums slung through the doors should get the VW up to the surface, where it can be towed to a boat ramp. (have 2 more standing by just in case) Position the sling towards the back end of the doors & it should hang about level w/o engine or with the rear end down with engine. Fill the barrels about half way each & then try to keep the amount of air balanced.
Plastic barrels work great as lifting drums & some even have lifting eyes, simplifying rigging.

If you're adventerous, you could just toss an air tank in the thing after cracking the valve & close the door. :tease:
Water will get displaced out the heater vents on the floor.
The hard part is figuring out the paperwork end.
DA Aquamaster covered things pretty well as far as ownership belonging to the insurance company, recovery fees, etc.
Another thing to consider is that some states require a vehicle to be removed within x-number of days or a fine starts racking up. You wouldn't want to be sitting at a boat ramp & have a warden asking "Is this your car?"
If the critter has a license plate or other ID, check it out.

This is a repositioning to make it a better dive site.

Some guy was doing this very thing and towing it from one location to the other when he had a line break and wound up dropping it in 140 feet of water.

My goal is to retrieve it and complete the tow, then position it at the new site. Maybe rig some cables so nobody will just drive off with it.

In that case, take a 1/2" nylon line & sling it through the doors, put the barrels UP at the end of the rope. 1/2" poly will still be within working strength, but watch out for sharp corners.
You'll be able to rig for lifting in shallower water & probably eliminate any deco.
Use less air to fill the barrels too.

How deep is the water you want to put it in?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom