using SR1 alternating AIR & NITROX, is it safe ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

disco1999

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was surprised to read the following in the SR1 user's manual:

Nitrox: The SR1 is manufactured for use with standard air or enriched air nitrox (EAN) with an oxygen component not to exceed 0% at a maximum pressure of 00 psi (20) bar.
If the regulator is used with standard air at any time it will no longer be suitable for use with nitrox unless it is reconditioned for nitrox use by a dealer or other expert trained in the proper cleaning methods.

Please tell me if I am wrong . . .
I use air with my SR1.. The next day I decide to dive with Nitrox32 using the same SR1 reg. I am risking some potential hazards because of the reg being "contaminated" by air, so I have to service my reg every time I plan to use Nitrox ? :idk:

This is the complete text from the owner's manual noted below. Yes, technically you would need to have it serviced after each dive with air or have a dedicated Nitrox regulator. This is true for all regulators on the market not just the SR1. You may want to refer to your Nitrox instructor for additional information on switching back and forth when using air/nitrox. This is a manufacturers warning. You may find not all divers pay attention to this warning, but it does not change what could occur.

Text from SR1 Manual:
Nitrox: The SR1 is manufactured for use with standard air or enriched air nitrox
(EAN) with an oxygen component not to exceed 40% at a maximum pressure
of 3500 psi (240) bar. If the regulator is used with standard air at any time
it will no longer be suitable for use with nitrox unless it is reconditioned for
nitrox use by a dealer or other expert trained in the proper cleaning methods.
Reconditioning involves cleaning to remove residual hydrocarbons that may
have been introduced through exposure to standard air. Failure to properly
clean the regulator may increase the risk of fire when used with nitrox. Such
risk could result in death or serious injury.

Yes, technically you would need to have it serviced after each dive with air or have a dedicated Nitrox regulator. This is true for all regulators on the market not just the SR1.

:shakehead:

OMG I should be dead!!!!!

Nobody I know gives a second thought to switching regs between air and nitrox. Or Trimix for that matter. In each case the air is coming from the same compressor. What does it matter what its mixed with??

It's not about using air or not, air is just another nitrox mix, air is
EAN 21.
It's about using a non filtered air supply, when you prepare a nitrox mix
you MUST use a filtered air supply.

Maybe nothing will happen if you use a regulator, that is not clean, with EAN 40,
but what if you have a free flow in the boat deck with the sun burning
the back of your head.
You may have fire.

I know people that prepare nitrox without cleaning the air that they are
using for the mix and no accidents happened for the moment. But there is
always a possibility.

You can use air with your regulator that was serviced for nitrox if the
air is clean and was filtered in order to use it with nitrox.
Remember that a clean air filtered for nitrox it's cleaner than the air
that is good for diving.

This is why it's good to get a good nitrox certification.
This is like everything in scuba diving, maybe you want to take the risk, but at least you know the risk.

Regards,
Andres

It's not about using air or not, air is just another nitrox mix, air is
EAN 21.
It's about using a non filtered air supply, when you prepare a nitrox mix
you MUST use a filtered air supply.

Maybe nothing will happen if you use a regulator, that is not clean, with EAN 40,
but what if you have a free flow in the boat deck with the sun burning
the back of your head.
You may have fire.

I know people that prepare nitrox without cleaning the air that they are
using for the mix and no accidents happened for the moment. But there is
always a possibility.

You can use air with your regulator that was serviced for nitrox if the
air is clean and was filtered in order to use it with nitrox.
Remember that a clean air filtered for nitrox it's cleaner than the air
that is good for diving.

This is why it's good to get a good nitrox certification.
This is like everything in scuba diving, maybe you want to take the risk, but at least you know the risk.

Regards,
Andres

That all makes perfect sense. If you only frequent LDS's that dispense nitrox the issue is moot. In that a lot of fill-stations use the partial pressure filling method their air only fills should be assumed to be filtered. Your thoughts?

That all makes perfect sense. If you only frequent LDS's that dispense nitrox the issue is moot. In that a lot of fill-stations use the partial pressure filling method their air only fills should be assumed to be filtered. Your thoughts?

More than assuming that the air is being filtered, the air must be filtered. You can always talk with the guys that fill the tanks and at the end you will know if they are doing the correct job.
If you need to fill your tank in a place where they don't have clean air, maybe a personal filter might be the solution, but if you don't have your own tanks the filter is useless.

But in the end, if you are not diving with more than EAN 32, why bother? :D

Exactly. There is no need to O2 clean regs after diving air if you are going to switch to anything under 40%. The air I dive is O2 compatible anyway from both shops I use ( and yes I see their test reports). They do PP blending. If one were to go from what could be considered crappy air to something above say 50% then I would yes advise cleaning the regs. At least I would with mine since I service my own. But my deco bottles are only used with O2 compatible air and I would not have any problem filling em with 100% and using it with the regs on there now as is. I understand the liability thing but some of this is antiquated. I passed on an opportunity at an SR1 at a great price because of this issue. And because it was too hard to get parts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom