TLS 350, which pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVMike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If you are designing your own custom DUI TLS 350 which pockets would you choose?

The large bellows pockets which has a velcro flap?
Or
The large zippered pocket?

And, why?

Thanks

The old recommendation used to be to have one of each, but I believe that was changed some time ago, to recommend the bellows/velcro pockets. The reason for this is that Velcro, when it fails, fails open; zippers can and do jam, and prevent you from accessing the pocket contents.

I need to order a new custom wetsuit. Are there any pockets other than Halcyon's that deserves a look?

Last edited:
I need to order a new custom wetsuit. Is there any other pockets other than Halcyon's that deserves a look?

I have the Halcyon pockets on my old wetsuits, I went the cheap route on my new wetsuit and used XS scuba pockets. In comparison, I wish I had used Halycon again, it is better made and the material is heavier.

I got DUI to install a pair of the large Halcyon Expedition pockets on mine, and I love them. The little zipper pocket in the flap is very handy for keys, spare parts, etc. If you get the DUI pockets, you'll probably end up with a pair of big bolt cutters removing the SS ring and replacing it with bungee.

Although I really hate to recommend them, Fifth Dimension dive shop in Seattle sells bellows pockets for $30 apiece. They're not fancy and don't have separate wetnote compartments, but they have grommets and they're quite serviceable.

If I were going to go whole hog on pockets, I'd get Tobin's (Deep Sea Supply) that sit on the oversized neoprene backing, so the shear stress from opening and accessing the pocket isn't applied to the edges of the glue.

I have the bellow pockets on my backup DUI, and they don't compare to the Halcyon pockets I had DUI install on my main TLS350 suit. I love the separate wetnote, zipper compartment, and built in bungee loops.

I have the bellow pockets on my backup DUI, and they don't compare to the Halcyon pockets I had DUI install on my main TLS350 suit. I love the separate wetnote, zipper compartment, and built in bungee loops.

Do DSS's pockets have all those features?

Mike, PM sent!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom