oxygen cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdb

Reaction score
A question for those of you who dive off of your own boat. What safety/rescue supplies do you carry on board? I have been thinking about purchasing a small cylinder of 02 to keep on board when diving. I fugure it couldn't hurt, but where would I go to get one of these. What else would you suggest haveing?

The Coast Guard can give you very good ideas on safety equipment and the like.
You can get a complete O2 kit from DAN. You also need to take an O2 provider class, and may need a medical prescription to have the tank filled.

Very good thinking on the safety issues.

MD

Galls public safety sells them--regs, airways, et al.

http://www.galls.com

You can even get a demand valve set
Would advise taking at least a Basic Life Support course to back up using the gear.

Don't end up looking like this :eek:

Your O2 on board should be large enough to support 2 victims to the hospital (or at least to the dock if you have good EMS folks handy) from as far out from help as you could POSSIBLY be.
Most kits DAN sells are not suitable for the "big water" and small boats.

FT

Don't overlook the fact that a responsive diver can use standard scuba. Then it's easy to keep as much O2 on hand as you want. Of course a mask will be needed for nonresponsive victems/patients.

Your O2 on board should be large enough to support 2 victims to the hospital (or at least to the dock if you have good EMS folks handy) from as
far out from help as you could POSSIBLY be. Most kits DAN sells are not suitable for the "big water" and small boats.

25 miles out from the dock is as far as I go, past that you start reaching depths of 200+fsw(too deep for me right now). I can reach over 35mph if I am not worried about saving fuel, so at max I would be about 45min away from help. My normal dive would be about 30min out. There is plenty of EMS help at the dock. Shouldn't the kits on DANs web site be enought for that?? If not, any suggestions?

Don't forget that your speed flat out depends on conditions... the rougher the seas, the longer it's going to take you. Just didn't want to let that be overlooked. Otherwise, I can't really advise which kit is the right one... I'll leave that to others better qualified than myself.

jdb once bubbled...

25 miles out from the dock is as far as I go, past that you start reaching depths of 200+fsw(too deep for me right now). I can reach over 35mph if I am not worried about saving fuel, so at max I would be about 45min away from help. My normal dive would be about 30min out. There is plenty of EMS help at the dock. Shouldn't the kits on DANs web site be enought for that?? If not, any suggestions?

DAN uses a Jumbo D in their kits which is essentially the same capacity as an E. Another E cylinder can be found used for very little money (under $50) and will double the O2 available. Another Jumbo D would runa little over $100, which still is not bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom