SDI's Solo Diver Program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duca

Reaction score
Okay, first off... "No", I don't really plan on doing Solo Diving.. particularly not at this point....

That said, has anyone taken this course? I have read over the course plan and it seems like it would be a real confidence building course that would speed me right along to feeling even more comfortable with SCUBA in general.

I spoke to the owner of a shop that is associated with an instructor who teaches the course and he tried to discourage me from taking it. He said that there wasn't any rule about experience level, but he personally thought that someone should be pretty experienced before they took the course. I'm afraid he ignored my disclaimer (similar to the one above) because he said that I might not be ready for "the type of diving that it promotes."

What do you guys think?

Well... I think it's a personal decision that only you can make. It's kinda like going to an auction, if you have to ask how much it is, you can't afford it. :rolleyes:

So if you believe you have the mentality, training, discipline, gear etc to come back from a solo dive, noone can stop you. Keep in mind that anyone can dive solo, or deep or tech for that matter... it's the coming back part that's challenging.

There have been many discussions on solo diving on these boards. Running a quick search using the link above to your right will yield plenty of good material for you to sift through :)

I ran the search and read through some of the threads... unless I missed it, no one has actually addressed this specific course.
Like I said, I don't think I'm ready to solo-dive, but I am ready to get as much productive training as I can. I am already starting to think that throwing money at PADI for "specialty" courses is going to get old quick... particularly when my options are Quarry Dives or Travel Expenses....

I'm approaching diving like I approached rock climbing when I was startting out. I spent a lot of time on artificial walls which are relatively controlled environments.. that's kinda how I've been thinking of these quarry dives. Going out on a real cliff is completely different and it took quite a while before I felt comfortable climbing real rock alone.

I don't know the exact criteria for that class, but IMHO the skills are great to have. You can never have too many skills.

Even if you don't plan on diving solo, there will be times that will occur in your diving career that will make you think you are diving solo.

ID

I know (and am taking classes from) a master instructor trainer for SDI/TDI. And he loves to talk scuba (though he and I haven't discussed the SDI course). If you would like his e-mail, please send me some e-mail and I will put you two together.

WOW ID those words are spoken as if you have lived them.

Do you have a link to the course syllabus? (I'm feeling lazy today otherwise I'd surf around for it myself.)

As Iguana Don mentioned, there will be times when you find yourself soloing, whether you want to or not. I'm not really into solo diving myself (where's the fun in that?), but there have been many times when I found myself alone.

- Your buddy may swim away or disappeared somehow
- Currents separate you from a group/buddy
- Your buddy decides not to do a swim-through
- If your buddy is doing something dangerous (e.g., going too deep), you may want to leave *them*. :rolleyes:

And if you become a divemaster, you'll constantly be running in and out of the water solo for various reasons.

While I don't (yet) advocate solo diving, I can see the advantages of learning and having that kind of self-reliance.

g2,

The outline is in PDF format at http://www.tdisdi.com click the SDI link, then the Solo Diver Program....

ID,

Those were my thoughts exactly.

TexM,

I'll be ready to talk to him more in a week or two. The course syllabus states 100 dives for completion, but I understand that they are not needed to begin (or take) the course.

I'll like to see that programme. However, I can't find it on their homepage?

Can you give a direct link or show my my errors? (Now, no smart remarks! :nono: I meant only on this issue)

DSAO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom