Pacific honeymoon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clutchcargo

Contributor
Reaction score
I agreed to plan the honeymoon while my fiance plans the wedding. My first idea is someplace in pacific. We've been to the Caribbean numerous times. I'd like to see a clownfish with host anemone, for one, good topside attractions (hiking, horseback riding, outdoors things to do), and of course excellant diving. We're not so much into dancing or clubing. Tahiti seems to be a pretty popular honeymoon destination, any other ideas.
Thx
Cjh

We celebrated 25 years of marital bliss in French Polynesia last May. Our main plan was a cruise, which gave plenty of personal service and many opportunities to visit different islands. Lots of activities are available through the cruise line, though they are a bit tame for most young and active folks. All of the topside attractions you mentioned, Clutch, WERE available, at times and prices of the cruise line's choosing.

With the ease of internet communication, it is easy to arrange activities with other providers. Everybody we contacted was perfectly willing to work around the ship's schedule.

If you choose to travel to only one or two islands, Moorea, or Bora Bora may be more attractive. The other FP islands are more relaxed, have less or no disco type attractions and have more "island flavor. The farther you get from the Tahiti, the less development there is, and the simpler the locals' lifestyle seems.

Tahiti has more nightlife, shoping and other activities if that is what you want. It depends on what you are looking for. In addition to the cruise we spent 4 days onshore on Tahiti. I think I would have enjoyed one of the less populated islands more, since the more metropolitian aspects of Tahiti were not that attractive to me.

Others on the board have traveled extensively on the various islands and have reported their experiences. Use the search feature and read up to get more background info.

One other thing to consider...Since last November, when we booked our trip, the dollar has been "BUSHwhacked," and is now worth 20-30% less against international currency. Don't worry, prices were plenty expensive before. Don't flinch at paying $6 for a 1.5L bottle of water. That was one reason why the cruise ship's meals included format was attactive. We did enjoy shopping at the local grocery stores on the onshore part of the trip. Resturant food was expensive, but tipping is not a local custom, so it evens out a bit. Just go into it aware that you ain't in the US and savor the differerences.

KYDan

My wife and I honeymooned in Bora Bora and Moorea this past May. FP is great, but plan on spending a lot of $$$. If you stay at a resort, make sure the bungalow you are staying in has air conditioning. Our over the water bungalow in Bora Bora did not have A/C and it made for some uncomfortable nights.

One option (and the one my wife and I took) was to stay a bit closer to home and honeymoon in Hawaii. We spent a week in Kauai and a week on the Kona Agressor, with a brief stopover at "
"Volcano House" on the big island. Let's you have a bit of everthing and if any place knows how to do "honeymoon" its Hawaii!!

sdwho

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom