It's great to be back in KAUAI!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kauai_diver

Reaction score
Right after I met up with Joewr on the 3rd of Sept 2001, we went and did a 2 bottle dive off the south shore of Kauai. Met Joe and Barbara for the first time. Good people. We had alot of fun on the dive and I will leave the trip report to Joe as he dove all that week, I on the other hand, had to go to Kali for 5 days then onto D.C.

Yes, D.C. in the spring a nice place until terrorism strikes. Long story short, I was in the Navy Annex, the buildings on the hill right above the south wall of the pentagon that got hit. The plane flew approx 25 feet over our building before impacting the pentagon. The blast shook the building I was in as it is only approx .5 miles away from the pentagon. It was the most unreal/sureal thing I have ever experienced. It is just starting to sink in now. I didn't get back to Kauai until yesterday. When we evacuated, all you could see was black smoke and flames. People screaming insanely about their friends and love ones that were in the pentagon.

Lessons learned:
Americans are strong people, and when the $h** goes down, we come together and kick butt.
Airport security is still a joke. I personally breezed through at Dulles, you know, the airport where the plane that hit the pentagon originated. I could have easily gotten onboard with things like a small bomb. I saw a guy be allowed to carry a canned coke through the security screening! A canned soda could have ben filled with a flammable liquid ie. a bomb.

I would have made a scene but I just wanted to get home. Be aware of those around you when you are flying. I have to fly between 150-200 thousands miles a year for my job. We, the travelers are now, more than ever, responsible to stop terrorism if possible. We will probably die anyway, why let other parrish.

My thoughts and prayers to the family's of those brave souls who decided to not let that 4th plane become a bomb. I only hope I too can muster of that kind of courage if I ever get in that situation......

I too have thought of scenarios like that. All I can say is that I've got the training and physique to open up a jumbo sized can of whoop a$$, so if I'm ever in a situation like that, you can bet that I'll be weedwacking foolio's as if my life depended on it. :D

Just wanted to say that to you two guys.

One thing about fear most people think about themselves, it takes someone more to think of others, even in the face of death.

KD - It's good to have you back safe and sound. It must have been horrible to have been so close the the scene. I was amazed at your report of the lax security at Dulles... That is scary in itself. Perhaps it's been tightened up since you 'breezed thru'?

...GO MARIO!

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom