Dir equipment set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would strongly recommend that you find a local GUE or UTD instructor first and ask them your equipment questions. It will save you a lot of money and frustration in the long run.

Local GUE instructor list:
GUE Instructors | Global Underwater Explorers

That said, there's really not such a concept as an "octo" in DIR. It may seem like semantics, but the idea is that your backup reg is going to be breathed off of by you in an emergency, so it should be a capable reg as well. Oftentimes people will simply get two of the same type of secondary.

I think you'll find a lot of recommendations for Halcyon/Scubapro and for Apeks. There are plenty of other regulators that will work well also (I have DiveRite and Apeks and like both). Hose routing is better on some than on others, although this is primarily a problem for if/when you go to doubles. Fixed turrets like the DS4 or 5th port models seem to work best for first stages on doubles.

I see you're in LA. There are lots of local DIR divers here, so come on over to the Socal DIR subforum and see if you can't find someone to dive with. There are lots of first and second stages that will work for you....some better for doubles if you intend to go that route.

Meeting and diving with some of the local divers is a great way to gain some experience, meet some fun people, and dive as much as you can stand :D

FWIW, I dive Scubapro MK25 first stage and S600 second stages, with one of the second stages being on a 7' hose and the other on a 22" hose bungeed under my chin. I really like my regs (and they route very nicely with doubles), but haven't had issues with any of the other ones I've breathed.

Apeks is a popular choice, as are some Scubapro setups.

Of all the equipment choice and configuration issues you'll have moving into DIR, regulator choice is honestly one of the least important. Get something that breathes well (Atomic, Scubapro, Apeks, Hog, whatever) that you can get serviced locally - and use the right size hoses. And don't skimp on the backup reg - get a 'real' second stage, not a cheapie sold as an "octo."

I personally use a rather old Sherwood Brut setup for single tank, and an Apeks DS4 first stages with HOG D1 second stages (just ordered actually, used to use TX40 second stages) for doubles. Despite the Brut being very old and very cheap, in reality it breathes almost as well as the Apeks setup.

The major considerations are that it is a downstream reg (almost all are, except some Poseidons), use standard fittings (again, most do), be suitable for the temperatures in which you are diving, and if possible, be capable of being opened for simple repairs underwater (which, for example, ScubaPro regs are if you modify the cover). For people diving doubles, hose routing is also an issue, and regs with LP orifices at the bottom of the first stage are a little easier to route (eg. ScubaPro Mk25s, or I believe the new HOG regs as well).

The major considerations are that it is a downstream reg (almost all are, except some Poseidons), use standard fittings (again, most do), be suitable for the temperatures in which you are diving, and if possible, be capable of being opened for simple repairs underwater (which, for example, ScubaPro regs are if you modify the cover). For people diving doubles, hose routing is also an issue, and regs with LP orifices at the bottom of the first stage are a little easier to route (eg. ScubaPro Mk25s, or I believe the new HOG regs as well).

The Apeks DST first stage can also be modified (Apeks kit) with a fifth LP port in the end, but you have to rotate the reg around and have the environmental seal exposed facing up and out (which I'm not a fan of). If that doesn't bother you, then you're good. The rotating turret is considered a possible failure point, though, which is why the Apeks DS4 (or the Tek) first stage is usually preferred for doubles, despite its more limited hose routing options. Some like to use the DST for stage/deco bottles, as the turret makes things a bit easier.

Guy

I see you're in LA. There are lots of local DIR divers here, so come on over to the Socal DIR subforum and see if you can't find someone to dive with. There are lots of first and second stages that will work for you....some better for doubles if you intend to go that route.

Meeting and diving with some of the local divers is a great way to gain some experience, meet some fun people, and dive as much as you can stand :D

FWIW, I dive Scubapro MK25 first stage and S600 second stages, with one of the second stages being on a 7' hose and the other on a 22" hose bungeed under my chin. I really like my regs (and they route very nicely with doubles), but haven't had issues with any of the other ones I've breathed.

Hi,

Welcome to the DIR Forum!

I agree with Nichole. There is a great group of DIR divers in LA who will be able to help you with equipment selection and are tons of fun to dive with :wink:!

great opinions, thanks a lot. I dive now with a scubapro mk25/a700 so in the future i will get doubles so i think i could not go wrong with the another a700 setup. I was debating should i go with an octo or go straight with a more expencive second stage but now i decided to go with another second stage.

great opinions, thanks a lot. I dive now with a scubapro mk25/a700 so in the future i will get doubles so i think i could not go wrong with the another a700 setup. I was debating should i go with an octo or go straight with a more expencive second stage but now i decided to go with another second stage.

It totally depends on how much money you want to spend. My secondary on my singles reg is a Scubapro R190 that I bought new for 70 bucks, works just fine. If you do switch to your backup in single tank diving you shouldn't be on it too long, since you should be headed up pretty soon anyways. I also take comfort in the fact that my backup second stage is pretty dirt-simple, meaning less stuff to potentially fail at a bad time.

If you do go doubles, I recommend buying a full doubles set as it gets to be a pain switching hoses back and forth, in which case you can shop for deals at that time.

Peace,
Greg

The Apeks DST first stage can also be modified (Apeks kit) with a fifth LP port in the end, but you have to rotate the reg around and have the environmental seal exposed facing up and out (which I'm not a fan of). If that doesn't bother you, then you're good. The rotating turret is considered a possible failure point, though, which is why the Apeks DS4 (or the Tek) first stage is usually preferred for doubles, despite its more limited hose routing options. Some like to use the DST for stage/deco bottles, as the turret makes things a bit easier.

Guy

Don't the Scubapro Mk25s have a rotating turret too? They seem to be very popular with DIR divers, so how do they differ from the DST?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom