Navigation Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVMike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Left wrist or Right wrist for compass?

I have always worn compass on left wrist, now with a can light I find this akward. I am talking dark low vis where you need constant sight of compass to stay on course. When crossing the arm in front to see compass, light is at right angle to travel, and it becomes bothersome to light up compass.

Do you move compass to right wrist, or light to right hand? Or, any other tips?

Like most, I carry mine in the left wrist, as the best place for bottom timer is at the right wrist.

However - to really navigate relying on the compass (as opposed to just checking the general heading for reference) it's best to remove the compass from the wrist and hold it in the palm of whichever hand is easier (right works for me unless scootering), bungee mounts make this easy even with dry glove rings. I don't do much diving that requires me to completely rely on the compass, and the above has worked for me.

Btw, HID ballasts (and scooter motors) can affect the compass reading, so it's a good idea to check if your ballast does this or if you plan on mounting the compass on a scooter that the placement isn't affected by the motor.

//LN

Left wrist. It gets easier with practice. As far as illuminating it, just shine your HID at it for a moment. Mine (SK-7) will stay bright for over 15 minutes. Works even in the darkest, lowest vis.

And don't forget, you can always move the light temporarily to your right hand if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom