SEI now authorized to issue CMAS certs!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just received this today in the Summer issue of our Magazine that is distributed to SEI Leadership.

Scuba Educators International, Inc has completed an agreement with Underwater Society of America
regarding CMAS certifications. Effectively immediately, we will begin issuing CMAS diver and leader
certifications. The cards are purchased by USOA from CMAS and the front side will show the
international CMAS logo, the diver or leader level and a hologram. The back side of the cards will be
printed at the SEI Diving office and will show both SEI Diving and USOA logos in addition to the diver or
leader information similar to our current cards.
Underwater Society of America holds a seat on the Technical Committee of CMAS international and
therefore SEI Diving will become the training arm for USOA. To be sure both our instructors, SEI Diving,
and USOA is covered by liability insurance, each instructor MUST list “Underwater Society of America”
as an additional insured on their insurance. We must have that certificate in our file before we can issue
cards. Diver levels do not expire but instructor levels will expire in five years from date of issue as long
as the instructor maintains insurance and is current with SEI Diving.
Here are the equivalent levels:
DIVER
CMAS SEI Diving
1 Star Diver Open Water Diver (age 15+)
2 Star Diver Advanced OW (age 15+ w/ 20 logged dives)
3 Star Diver Advanced Plus Diver (age 16+ w/ 50 logged dives)
4 Star Diver Master Diver + DRAM Rescue Diver + 100 logged dives
INSTRUCTOR
CMAS SEI Diving
1 Star Instructor Divemaster (age 18+ w/40 logged dives)
2 Star Instructor Instructor (age 19+ w/ 100 logged dives)
3 Star Instructor Instructor Trainer (age 21+ w/ 200 logged dives)

We have been working on this for some time. Thanks to Tom Leaird and the USOA for all the work that was required to get this done as well as all the others involved.

One small addition.

Be aware that in the CMAS system, a One-Star Diver is a diver that is accompanied on dives by a higher level diver. The SEI Diving Open Water Diver does not fit the criteria of a Two-Star Diver because 20 logged dives are required.

I am excited about this development.

Thanks Walter. I too got excited and missed it in the copy and paste. I'm going to clarify with Tom to make sure though that ONCE they get the required number of dives we will be able to issue the appropriate CMAS cert to those OW stundents who want one. I added USOA to my insurance the other night. Soon as I get the PDF confirmation I'm getting my 2 star instructor card.

You're welcome, Jim. It's an important point. An SEI Open Water Diver is actually between the CMAS 1 and 2 star levels.

Well done folks!

Back
Top Bottom