FQAS visitor permit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A group of us will be traveling to L'Escoumins in September for a dive trip. I understand that to scuba dive in Quebec requires an additional permit issued by a mandataire of the FQAS. All of our group hold AOW or higher and have plenty of cold water dives so will qualify for the visitor permit. My question is how do we get these permits? Can it be done in advance of our trip? Will we find a mandataire in L'Escoumins or will we need to stop somewhere before hand? And finally: why the heck doesn't the "english" tab work on the FQAS website?

Thanks!

I would try calling a Quebec dive shop to get some info about the visitor permit. I don't really know how it works (there isn't much info about it on the web). The CDMM (Les Escoumins, CDMM - Scubapedia) is administered by the FQAS so maybe someone ther would know if you can do that once you get there (it seems pointless to drive from London to Morrison to do it beforehand). If the french is an issue send me a PM and I'll try to get the info for you.

Les Escoumins is a really nice dive site, you should love it.

Thanks. I have emailed Parks Canada, who operate the CDMM. I figure that if they are collecting the Park Fees they ought to be in the business of selling the permits as well or at least know who does. We regularly dive in the National Park at Tobermory so I imagine that the setup is pretty similar.

I've heard that you cannot night dive in Quebec. Is this true? It seems hard to believe.

In theory you need the class B or higher certificate to do a night dive (enforcement of the permit being as minimal as it is right now this is really "in theory"). The CDMM usually closes at 18h but I think you can make arrangements to be there till 10pm on Fridays/Saturdays. In any case, you can go diving from the pilots peer just beside it at any time of the day.

I am not sure what the situation is with the FQAS card anymore. And I live in Montreal!.
I sent an email to a buddy whom dives that area often.

In the mean time, here is a contact for Q/A...
Scuba Diving, Les Escoumins, Packages, North Shore Stay.
1-888-3WHALES

you can give them a shout to see what they say.

also check this site out for info
http://www.neptune-scuba.info/ca/qc/les-escoumins-en.html

Once i get more info I will be more than happy to pass it along.

As for the site not being in English...get use to it. They will not be translating anything any time soon...it has been many many years like this....they are by all accounts - morons - when it comes to the English language. I do it on purpose to talk to them in English just to piss them off...and I speak french...:wink:

Stephen

I have had a FQAS card for almost 6 years have never had to show it, only once while diving at Morissons Quarry, Wakefield which is in Quebec was I asked for proof of certification to dive they accepted my PADI card no problem. On another note its just another money grab at total rip off, you can check the FQAS internet site but good luck finding anything in English see link below as apparently only French speaking people live and dive in Quebec.

From what I can understand you have to show proof of having dove in similar conditions to Quebec in the last 3 years, be certified by whatever organization pay x amount of dollars this seems to vary significantly (one of the ripoff's) and they will issue a temporary card. You can do this at any dive shop as long as the dive shop has paid their membership fees to the FQAS (2nd ripoff).

Oh and by the way be prepared I dove Les Escoumis about 3 years ago very cold so drysuit recommended, had to climb over a bunch of rocks quite a distance to get in the water once down was OK but not that impressive, certainly I would not bother to do it again given the distance and cost for accommodation.

FQAS Bienvenue

Last edited:
Thanks for all the helpful posts.

I contacted Parks Canada who operate the CDMM (Centre de Découverte du Milieu Marin) at Les Escoumins and received the following response:

Good day,

Thank you for your interest in Parks Canada.

You can purchase the temporary diving permit of 30 days at the CDMM at the base for diving. You need to prove that you have done a minimum of two dives in cold water with a cowl and mitts (proved in your diving book). If you don't have this requirement, you can dive with a mandataire at this

same location and then you will be able to get the temporary permit. The cost of this permit is 5$.

Don't hesitate to re-enter in contact with us for any other information.

Have a nice day,

Charming and helpful. I think we will enjoy diving here. We are all cold water, drysuit divers so we should be in our own element. I love Scuba Board for great info.

We just came back from 4 days there and actually got 'inspected' after a dive at Les Quai des Pilotes. The gent was friendly and we all had FQAS cards, so no issues. He said he basically visits a few sites around Quebec a couple times here and there throughout the summer, more for 'educating' than enforcement. We got our fills at the Hotel Pelchat and were never asked to show anything.

ps: Not sure which sites Diver 57 was referring to, but the place is spectacular. Also not sure where you're staying, but we camped at Paradis Marin (about 10 mins from the CDMM), which includes easy access to the dive site there, whales passing by every few minutes during the surface interval, and the same diving as the CDMM (but with no extra park access fees).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom