the DIR moniker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFeenD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just for a little fun.

I noticed that GUE is really trying to distance themselves from the DIR moniker and even UTD mentions it but doesn't seem to be leaning on it. There are some vestiges of it here and there, but even Halcyon is removing the DIR from the DIR dive systems logo. I can understand why distances themselves is a good political move, but it seems like the name for the system of diving is here to stay (at least for the foreseeable future), because it is just such an easy and recognizable way to describe the system of diving (right or wrong :wink: ).

Anyway, my question is, what would the "DIR" community replace it with to make the description more PC, still descriptive of the method, and just as easy to say and recognize.

Well, we faced this question on another board, trying to set up a "DIR" forum that would be inclusive of non-GUE people. I came up with "Unified Team Diving" for the title of that forum. Unfortunately, that term was adopted by a new "DIR" agency :) But I still think it identifies the core principle of the diving style.

I prefer the term team diving but honestly I care less and less about the term "DIR". I use it and make fun of it (sometimes in the same breath). I do think UTD came really close with "unified team diving" as it indicates that the team is unified in procedure, purpose, training, etc.

"The System" is what I've been hearing since last year.

my dive buddy's reply the other day when someone from another "DIR camp" walked up to her on on her 3rd ever dive in the northwest (she just moved here) and said:

"...another kool aid drinker! <looks her up and down> looks like you drink a different flavor than me"

her response:

"you drink grape, I drink cherry, it's all just colored sugar water"

pretty much sums it up...

:wink:

Yawn.

I'm just fine with "DIR".

Tell me what you really think of this thread :)

Well, we faced this question on another board, trying to set up a "DIR" forum that would be inclusive of non-GUE people. I came up with "Unified Team Diving" for the title of that forum. Unfortunately, that term was adopted by a new "DIR" agency :) But I still think it identifies the core principle of the diving style.

I would love to use UTD instead of DIR, but i guess that would be very specific.

Optimized Diving Equipment? Diving with gear that is optimized for maximum comfort and efficiency for the dive at hand?

:wink:
When did it just become a gear configuration :wink:

StrokeX ??

Shouldnt it be, ExStroke?

Seriously, i only ask partly in jest, and partly cause i hear people get really worked up about it and shut off their brain after i say "right." Just thought the community could come up with something snarky, funny, and useful. :D

I like the system, but I feel like there should be a secret handshake to go along with it. Any ideas for that Sam?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom