Review - Tondoba Bay, Marsa Alam, Egypt with Deep South Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

black_sea

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Had a great week diving with my significant other at Tondoba Bay, Marsa Alam, Egypt with Deep South Divers.

Egypt off-season is highly recommended- we were the only people on the house reef most of the time, and the bay had about 12 divers total at the busiest.

Bus from Hurghada - Golden Horse - 25 LE per person, 4 hours, toilet stinks, locals smoke on bus.
Taxi is lots more, 400-600 LE with gas, same time.

The desert camp in Tondoba- all the divecenters in Tondoba have the same camp! you live in basically the same stone huts with palm leafs for roof. Days hot, but shade and palm leefs- lots of wind, works great.
Scorpions in shower.

Food ok, fresh, nothing special. hut - 50 euro for 2 per night, food 3 times a day. Make sure your drinking water is included.

Tondoba bay has a spectacular house reef with lots of fish, healthy coral, some whitetips.
Enjoyed our time on it immensely, best accessed by boat - 1 min from shore.

Shore dive requires either some navigation in the reef to get to the better part, or a 1 hour 30 minute dive, as the first 30 mins of the dive from shore the visibility is poor and the reef is damaged.
If you can hold your air, after a while you hit the most beautiful reef. You might have accessed it with the boat as well, as 2 boat dives per day are included.

This is a military interest area and the last dive is at 4 pm. Night dive permit costs 5 to 10 euro depending on your bargaining skills and how much your divecenter likes you. Just spend the extra money to dive at 6 pm and dusk! You need several days for your diving permits to go through, so yes, book your trip in advance, but a week is ok.

The divecenter also drives you out to other sites,

Abou Dabab - saw guitar "shark" and turtles.
Did not chase the dugong, I feel for the poor beast being modded by tourists.
Snorkelers are a pain in the ass, flipper sharks are the real danger of the red sea. Some ass kept coming in to take a picture next to us," look, I can dive as deep as divers", I had to hold my reg with one hand and finally just had to push him off. The local snorkeling guide there kept sticking his snorkel into a very large and very tired looking moray. She was old and in the "I dont care anymore" stage. Still, poor fish. We emailed a complaint to their hotel there, but I guess that is what the tourists want so they will give it to them, wildlife be damned.

Nice wreck, great shore dives, etc. Very happy, lots of life. Pregnant bluespoted stingray, lots of territorial/ pair behaviour by stingrays, parrots, masked puffers. Interesting variety of lionfish.

We had our own divemaster with us from Hurghada, anyone wants his info PM me.
Your own guide is worth his weight in gold, as you are saved the agony of price bargaining for everything.

The locals away from large tourist resorts have real class, dont bother tourists and are chill. You get to experience the real Egyptian hospitality.

The last day spent in Hurghada, Triton empire - 20 to 30 euro for 2 per room per night. Taxi - 40 LE egyptian pounds to airport, including 5 LE airport taxi fee. Do not pay more than 14-20 LE for taxi rides in Hurghada, you are still giving 40 percent more than locals.

Souvenirs
- just go to the set price store, we paid 10 LE for a stuffed camel and map.

Nile Pharaous Co -El Arosa Square, Sheraton Road, tel 06r 344 64885

Do not talk to any streethustlers, you will not get better prices than Nile Pharaous, and they try to pressure you to buy.

We will be going back again in winter! I love the feeling of being alone on the reef.

More updates to this to come when I have time. If you are thinking about diving in Marsa Alam, now is a great time!

thnx for the report

You know, as they say, Egypt is magical, you will never go there just once. We are in love with it.
Next time, Brothers and Elphinstone. Maybe Shagra.

P.S. Karim at deep south divers is great. The atmosphere in the desert is simply astounding, you feel constantly in awe. Keep having dreams about that reef.

Nice wreck just 30 mins ride away, too.

I have to look in my logbook and will update this answer! It is 40 minutes south from tondoba bay, there are two merchant ships wrecked on the reef, one visible at the surface, and one submerged at 17-20 meters. 20 years ago. no name the locals gave for the wreck, just the bay.
beautiful wreck.
2332920100718112001.jpg

2332920100717204032.jpg

2332920100717225102.jpg

Dahab has everything now, eh? And the cheapest accomodations for divers, it seems. I love to spend all my money on diving, personally

Dahab has everything now, eh? And the cheapest accomodations for divers, it seems. I love to spend all my money on diving, personally
Not really. The new wreck is a fancy dive, but we still NEED a real wreck!

Several years ago I suggested to a board member of SSDM (Dahab branch) that we go for deliberate sinking. I even suggested the place that I feel will benefit the whole dive industry in Dahab. But as usual, as if I'm talking to myself! :coolingoff:

Asser, that is what the rumors are about that wreck in Marsa Alam- that the captain was paid to do it for an insurance claim. The diving industry is very happy with it too.
I'm sure something could be arranged quite cheaply, with the right organizing skills. A wreck can always be sold as an artificial reef, and with proper networking you might even be paid to sink some scrap.
Its been done in Canada and the US, so why not in Dahab.

I have a question for you about off-season diving in Dahab, should I post it in the forums or just PM you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom