Maldives - Where to Stay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends heavily on what you're looking for, budget, etc.

Since your visit will be short, you would want to look into resorts in the North or South Kaafu atolls to maximize the time you can spend diving and relaxing.

The airport island, Hulhule is situated in the south east corner of the North Kaafu atoll, and many or most resorts in either North or South Kaafu atolls are reached via surface transport (speed boats or dhonis; the local shallow bottom boats).

If you're looking for luxury resorts in this area, Soneva Gilli should be a pricey but good choice. Banyan Tree and Angsana, both renowned resort brands in SE asia, were running affordable full board plans when I was planning my next vacation. If you're looking for places run by major hotel chains, Four Seasons and Sheraton have resorts in the North Kaafu atoll. As for locally run resorts catering to divers, Bandos is known for their hyperbaric medical center equipped with a deco chamber and hyperbaric doctors attending.

Resorts in the other atolls will require further air travel. Many resorts in other atolls are reached via sea planes (DHC6 Sea Otters), while more remote places require flying to local airports (DH8s or Dornier 228s) and connecting surface transports. Having to fly back to the international airport reduces the time you can spend in the resort and diving.

Hope this helps.
Kaza

hi Buddy,

Let me know if you need any assistance, i am located in Maldives. :)

Cheers

July-August are the best months for Baa atoll.Many mantas and and whale sharks.It's one hour away from Male with sea plane.

Which resort is dedicated to divers and relatively close to "good sites" ?

We found pro divers based on my research. While they are expensive (around 50$/dive) we will deal with it if they truly are the best in town.

Our priority is diving, then the rest - the actual comfort of the resort... food ... service ..etc.

Tks.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom