Florida Cold Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cudachaser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Looks like the FL cold water is finally leaving...Was out surfing today...Surf temp 82d in Cocoa Beach!

I think that strong east wind from earlier in the week helped to turn the water over. Wonder if it is still frigid offshore at depth though....

Cheers,
Mike

Shipwrecks of the Sunshine State: Florida's Submerged History
http://www.mikey.net/aue/shipwreckbook.htm

Florida has cold water? *dubious look*

Hmmmmmmm I think you Florida divers need to make a Catalina trip with me! You KNOW it's cold when you go IN the water, a rooster, and come out of the water an HEN!

I read reports that the cold water was killing off the fish...is that true? One report from mini bug season said dozens of Queen Angels in one spot around West Palm Beach as well as lots of others.

Anyone else seen this?

and it might have been dead. I caught a squirrel fish by hand, and it seemed to expire from the brief struggle. The bugs we found were stunned... and there were dead fish all over. It was awful!

Yikes!

That will teach me to open my mouth (again).

Hmm, *wince* I guess no taker for the Catalina trip? :eek:

NetDoc once bubbled...
and it might have been dead. I caught a squirrel fish by hand, and it seemed to expire from the brief struggle. The bugs we found were stunned... and there were dead fish all over. It was awful!

I was out in Boston over memorial day. I think the surface temp was 42. My guide had a drysuit, my 7mm worked great.

If it's not underwater, it's CRAP

Past weekend I was diving in Wilmington, NC.

First day we went to Cassimir & Lobster Ledge (2-3 hours ride, far away from the shore), and temperatures at the bottom (about 110'-115') was in mid 70s, which is nice and warm, as far as I concerned, but locals were saying it's usually in 80s this time of the year.

Next day we went to a couple shallower wrecks, much closer to the shore, and it was in mid 60s... not a good match for the 3mm suits…

So, it's not just Florida where unseasonably low temps are seeing this summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom