grade 4 on v-drill ;-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stargost

Contributor
Reaction score
genuine question :

for those who passed fundies with tech, what is your impression about what you need to get a grade 4 on below:

# Demonstrate an efficient valve drill with double tanks.* => especially definition of "efficient"

basically, does the v-drill require that you do it with what is required there:

# Demonstrate good buoyancy and trim, i.e. approximate reference maximum of 20 degrees off horizontal while remaining within 3 feet/1.0 meters of a target depth. Frequency of buoyancy variation and the divers control of their buoyancy and trim are important evaluation criteria.*

Thanks

genuine question :

for those who passed fundies with tech, what is your impression about what you need to get a grade 4 on below:

# Demonstrate an efficient valve drill with double tanks.* => especially definition of "efficient"

basically, does the v-drill require that you do it with what is required there:

# Demonstrate good buoyancy and trim, i.e. approximate reference maximum of 20 degrees off horizontal while remaining within 3 feet/1.0 meters of a target depth. Frequency of buoyancy variation and the divers control of their buoyancy and trim are important evaluation criteria.*

Thanks

Hi Stargost,

If you've not yet taken fundies, then don't worry about this. I know this sounds odd, but I've seen many people miss out on Tech Passes because they have concentrated on trying to pass the class before they start it, and have built bad habbits that then need fixing.

HTH

John

Agreed, wait till you're in the class (I believe you have it scheduled for later this summer, right??). Don't focus on the pass....focus on getting as much out of the class as you can. It really will make it more fulfilling.

understood.
But I have taken double class though, and I know where my main weakness is ;-)

I know you can 'retake' later, but not always easy to match schedules.

My point was that if the requirement on that particular drill is 3.00ft max, then indeed, I'll focus on the rest and won't bother too much. But if, let's say, you have little more margin (not much), then a few more practice dives and I should be there!

understood.
But I have taken double class though, and I know where my main weakness is ;-)

I know you can 'retake' later, but not always easy to match schedules.

My point was that if the requirement on that particular drill is 3.00ft max, then indeed, I'll focus on the rest and won't bother too much. But if, let's say, you have little more margin (not much), then a few more practice dives and I should be there!

For a grade 4 you have to have control of your buoyancy comfortably within the 3' window and trim comfortably within the 20deg range. You also have to not move horizontally very much, while maintaining awareness of your team and the environment. You have to do all of this both while doing the drills and while being the reference for your team mates while they do the drills. It is not possible to get a grade 4 on just the valve drill, it is necessary to have the trim, buoyancy, back kick, awareness all dialed in as well. And this is what the class is about.

HTH

John

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom