Australia - Great White Shark Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donsilcock

Contributor
Reaction score
Further to my earlier post below I have now updated my site www.indopacificimages.com with a comprehensive page on photographing the Great White Shark.

Here is the link: How to get those Great White Shark Pictures | Indo-Pacific Images

I have also updated my Great White Shark image gallery on this link: Great White Shark Pictures - Image Gallery | Indo-Pacific Images

And finally.... I had an article published in the UK base magazine Underwater Photography on Great White Sharks, which also got the front cover - here is the link to download it: http://www.indopacificimages.com/articles/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/GWS.pdf

Don

Earlier Post:

I have recently updated my site www.indopacificimages.com with a comprehensive page on cage diving with the Great Whites at Dangerous Reef and the Neptune Islands in South Australia.

I have done several trips over the years and it really is a unique experience, and to see the Great White in it’s own space is to really understand why they own it…

Here is the link: Great White Sharks & Great White Shark Cage Diving in Australia | Indo-Pacific Images

I am also updating my Technique page on photographing the Great White and will post that when it’s done.

Don

amazing site, amazing pics :) thanks.....

great whites are an amazing looking animal, although i do hope i never am "lucky enough" to see one face to face without a lot of steel bars between.

Don, where is the best place to photo great whites in Australia? We will be taking a dive trip on the Spirit of Freedom in 2011 out of Cairns, and might be able to fit in a great white cage dive while we are there.

Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill, there is only one place that I am aware of in Australia to cage dive with Great Whites and that is the Neptune Islands in South Australia. There is a pretty comprehensive explanation of the overall deal and the two main operators on my site.

Here is the link: Great White Sharks & Great White Shark Cage Diving in Australia | Indo-Pacific Images

From Cairns you will need to fly down to Adelaide in South Australia, which is roughly 3-4 hours flying time, and then get over to Port Limcoln.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with...

Don

Don, thanks for the information. You have a great site, with great pictures. I went on a great white dive trip off Guadalupe Island in Mexico and saw several sharks that really came in close. While it is a lot closer than traveling to Australia, the downside is that the largest shark we was was 14 feet (still a big shark) but not the monsters that you will see in Australia.

Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill, thanks for the comments on my site - greatly appreciated!

The biggest great white I have seen in South Australia was a 5m monster - roughly 16ft. The average is 3-4m (10 - 14ft), so around about the same as Guadalupe it would seem...

I had an email the other day from Andrew Wright of Calypso Star charters and he reckons they are currently getting between 5 to 7 sharks a day at South Neptune island.

Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom