Diving in the Canary Islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ItMustBeJames

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I'm not sure if this should be in the Western Europe forum or the Africa forum, but here goes.

A couple of us are considering a trip to the Canary Islands next year. Three divers, one non-diver. How's the diving? Where's the "best" diving (e.g. most interesting ... not necessarily the most popular)?

Another consideration is whether or not there are non-diving activities in reasonable proximity to diving activities. If we can make a short trip to a dive site, or even spend a day or two total diving, from a location that will keep our non-diving friend happy, it's a good thing!

Any thoughts you have would be great!

Hi there!
We spent a month last winter on Gran Canaria, Tenerife and La Gomera. Diving there is nice although I would not call it spectacular. But it was not a diving trip and diving was not the priority for us. Also I am not much into wreck diving which is supposed to be great there.
There are some reports here. Eg. look at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/western-europe/43064-diving-tenerife.html
Most dives are from shore or short boat ride and there are plentiful activities for non-divers ranging from trekking through banana-boats to hard-core night clubbing. Everybody can be happy.

I am wondering the same thing. I may be diving there in a month or two. I'll let you know.

Joe

If you are going to Tenerife, check out Tenerife Scuba. It's owned by 3 Brits (Sarah, Chris & Mark). I went there on my 2nd dive trip after getting my OW. That was back in 2004. I had a great time. The fish life was nice but not really a place for corals. They will do trips to El Hierro which is supposed to be really good.

Tenerife Scuba

Well, before your post I ended up booking with Easy Blue World. I saw some good reviews and they were prompt in answering my emails. I will have to report back upon my return. Let me know if you heard any negative comments about them.
:):)

Sweet!

This is just the kind of stuff I'd been trawling the web for. I've spent all day looking for this kind of info. re: diving in the Canaries. Thanks for all the info.

I'll let you know how we get on when we get back (not going for another 3 weeks...it seems so far away - bah!)

Regards to all,
Russ

Did two shore dives with Easy Blue and they were great. I dove with Ronald as our guide and a young couple from Poland. What a pleasant change from a cattle boat! Anyway, our first dive we explored a cave. Lots of fish including a couple of stingrays. On the second dive we used the underwater scooters which were really cool. We parked the scooters out at the reef and explored the reef and then scootered back.

I highly recommend Tenerife.
:crafty::crafty::crafty:

Good to see you enjoyed the diving in Tenerife I was there 4 weeks ago buy was unable to dive because of big storms (not normal for the area). As every island is different next time you come to the area you might like to try diving in Lanzarote. I have been with Safari Diving, they are directly on the beach in Puerto del Carmen. It's the perfect location for beach and boat dives.
www.safaridiving.com

Last edited:
Hiya.

Having lived in Gran Canaria for over 6 years and worked as a Dive Master ther i am probably biased about the diving lol, it's great:D

Puerto Rico Diving in Puerto Rico i cant recomend enough, especially for new divers as they use the perfect location (Amadores Beach) with a nice shallow entry and hardly any water movement with loads to see for new and old hands alike. Vis is normaly great and this helps to settle new divers.

For the qualified divers a must visit is El Cabron, about a 40min drive from Puerto Rico. It is a nature reserve with fantastic diving to 21m and more for the ones good on air. Boat diving is also very close to hand with a large cruiser that non divers can spend a couple of hours on too, 20min cruise to most sites along with wrecks and reefs including the Artificial reef which is well worth a visit.

Great night life in the surounding area and plenty to do and see around the rest of the island.

Check out there website PR Diving for more info and if i manage to get back over there before you go i look forward to going diving with you:banana:

Ellis

Back
Top Bottom