long hose length?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robz

Registered
Reaction score
I have been thinking of switching my wife and I regs to the long hose. Which is better 5' or 7'? I don't plan on diving in an overhead environment and no dual tanks. At least not in the near future.
Thank you

robz once bubbled...
I have been thinking of switching my wife and I regs to the long hose. Which is better 5' or 7'? I don't plan on diving in an overhead environment and no dual tanks. At least not in the near future.
Thank you

5' is all the hose you need for OW. Though many find 7' to be more comfortable. If you are not pretty skinny I'd go with 7'. You stuff the extra in your waist belt and have room to adjust properly. You don't have to be very big at all before a 5' becomes too confining.

robz once bubbled...
Thank you

I am curious. I am not certain, from reading your post, what benefit you are seeking by changing to the long hose set-up, given your stated restrictions.

If you simply want more "room" in the event of a hand-off, the 5 ft length should be fine in open water. You will still not have redundancy without a "Y" or "H" valve and second regulator.

Can you go into your your intentions at greater length so that we can better advise you, please?

In my opinion, if you need to stuff the hose into your weight belt, you might be better off going with the 5' hose. I use the 7' but I also have a cannister light and I route the 7' hose underneath the cannister light wich helps keep it out of the way.

thanks

LVX

LVX once bubbled...
In my opinion, if you need to stuff the hose into your weight belt, you might be better off going with the 5' hose. I use the 7' but I also have a cannister light and I route the 7' hose underneath the cannister light wich helps keep it out of the way.

If you don't have a canister light you can run the hose under your knife (assuming your knife is on your waist strap).

Cornfed

I am thinking of using it becuase I believe that if there was a real out of air situation we may be fumbling around trying to find the octo. We know where the octo is now but we have to get it out of the holder. It just seems that the long hose would be much easier in that situation to give to your buddy or whoever is out of air and knowing that the alternate is right below my chin for me. By the way I am 6'2" and about 210 lbs. My wife is about 5'4" and 125

I'm curious... I've never dove a long hose but the one thing I know that annoys me with a standard hose is that after a LOT of diving, the pressure of the bend in the hose exerted on the right side of the regular (and thus my mouth/jaw) starts to get annoying to me. Do long hoses have the same problem -- more or less? -- than the standard hose?

learn-scuba once bubbled...
I'm curious... I've never dove a long hose but the one thing I know that annoys me with a standard hose is that after a LOT of diving, the pressure of the bend in the hose exerted on the right side of the regular (and thus my mouth/jaw) starts to get annoying to me. Do long hoses have the same problem -- more or less? -- than the standard hose?

Never happened to me w/ either hose, so I cant realy comment.

ROBZ, I'd go w/ the 7footer, not only would it fit you better (ur a big guy) but it gives u room for growth (into doubles or whatever).

It fit nicely into my Zeagle cumbebun and now in the waist strap f my harness.

learn-scuba once bubbled...

If you're long hose is long enough it is not a problem at all. The hose comes around behind your head so you just adjust it so you've got the exact right amount of slack.

If, however, you are diving a 5' and are too big for it, the problem would probably be worse.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom