Console vs SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on_two_wheels

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First, let me say I am not a DIR diver, nor plan to be for various reasons. However, the gear configuration makes a LOT of sense to me and, as such, I steered my rig in that direction. I'm not as strict with it as DIR standards (no can light, extra d ring), though.

My question for you guys today is why an SPG? I have a second set of regs with a basic console. It's got an analog depth gauge and pressure gauge. Why wouldn't I want this as my back up to my computer rather than the SPG currently used?

From what I've seen and read there's a reason for everything in DIR so I'm curious to hear why the SPG alone is the common backup. Thanks, in advance.

First, let me say I am not a DIR diver, nor plan to be for various reasons. However, the gear configuration makes a LOT of sense to me and, as such, I steered my rig in that direction. I'm not as strict with it as DIR standards (no can light, extra d ring), though.

My question for you guys today is why an SPG? I have a second set of regs with a basic console. It's got an analog depth gauge and pressure gauge. Why wouldn't I want this as my back up to my computer rather than the SPG currently used?

From what I've seen and read there's a reason for everything in DIR so I'm curious to hear why the SPG alone is the common backup. Thanks, in advance.

I'm sure others can give better responses but I would think that a console would get in the way when you've got a bunch of bottles clipped off. If the gauge on the wrist goes out then my team mate becomes the backup. Same with a compass (for those consoles with them).

First off, an SPG is not a backup. DIR also doesnt use hoseless air intigrated computers. The SPG clipped to the d-ring on your left waist is the only gauge on your back gas tanks.

Begining with the end in mind, a console doesn't scale. Some various reasons

1) a console is bigger than a basic SPG creating more drag and oportunity to entagle.
2) The left side d-rings will also have other equipment clipped off on them, including bottles and stage leashes. A larger console can interfear with how bottles ride as well as be a PITA to check.
3) You don't need to check pressure all that often while depth, time, & direction are frequently checked. The frequently checked items are put up on the wrists so they can be easily checked while performing some other activity like scotering.

You don't really need a backup analop depth gauge, in addition to the other reasons...
A) Analog is pretty coarse for deco diving/stops
B) Its tough to adjust buoyancy while also monitoring that console
C) Your buddy has a digital depth gauge on his/her wrist anyway

First off, an SPG is not a backup. DIR also doesnt use hoseless air intigrated computers. The SPG clipped to the d-ring on your left waist is the only gauge on your back gas tanks.
Actually, I would say that SPG is :) backup pressure gauge. The primary pressure gauge is your bottom timer: by tracking your exposure you know how much gas you have - SPG is there just to confirm what you expect to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom