0 to gear in 2 years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been diving for over 2 years now and have just about got my gear configured correctly (I hope). As soon as I get it all worked out and comfortable with it I will be ready for a Fundies class. I am looking into changing my AI console computer for a non AI wrist mount and need guidance for an acceptable inexpensive one. what is normally recommended for fundies? I am not sure yet what direction I will take my diving endeavor. Maybe cavern or wreck but probably not full cave.

To date I dive both wet and dry, have single and double tanks (double 72'), Halcyon wings (both double and single are 40lb lift) back plates(al and ss) with cinch straps and halcyon regulators with long hoses. I have a single pressure gauge and a wrist mount compass and a small knife on my waist strap. besides the wrist computer and a primary and backup light am I missing anything that might be required for the class?

Is a can light required? I am beginning to see a number of good led lights that can be mounted in a goodman handle.

Thanks for your advise

Should probably ask your instructor, but the uwatec 330m bottom timer shouldn't be too expensive, IIRC. You'll want something with a gauge mode at least.

As for the can light, that'll depend on your environment. You'll need to be able to switch hands easily and be able to clip it off to your right d-ring with one hand. Until you're very very sure about this, I'd avoid practising that on walls. It will also need to be powerful enough to signal with.

The cinch plate may or may not be considered acceptable to your instructor. I use one, and mine didn't care, but I'm doing UTD.

Wetnotes, SMB, finger spool.

Fins suitable for frog kicking and backfinning (you didn't mention this, so I thought I'd mention). This basically means no split fins.

For a Tech pass in Fundies, which you will need to progress to further GUE training, you'll need to do it in doubles, with a can light and appropriate exposure protection. As for computers, a lot of the recreational computers have a gauge mode. The Aladin Tec 2g is popular, and has some nice features in its gauge mode.

What's wrong with your current computer? If it has a gauge mode it's just fine. Also, AI may or may not be an issue, depending on your instructor. Gideon gave me a short lecture on it, but didn't freak out and I've since made many dives with DIR divers that gave me no drama associated with my transmitter.

That being said I would recommend the Tec2G over the Uwatec 330m, simply because with the Tec2G you can reset the depth averaging after each dive (and during, I believe) whereas the Uwatec has to shut off (24 hours?) before the average depth resets. A minor nitpick of mine, because if a tool is going to give me information I want it to be applicable at all times.

Peace,
Greg

For a Tech pass in Fundies, which you will need to progress to further GUE training, you'll need to do it in doubles, with a can light and appropriate exposure protection. As for computers, a lot of the recreational computers have a gauge mode. The Aladin Tec 2g is popular, and has some nice features in its gauge mode.

That's not quite accurate, a Rec Pass will allow you to further your GUE Training for Rec2 which is still be written as well as Rec3 which has been written and is now a course offering.

Interesting. I was thinking of the Tech and Cave training, not of the new Rec courses.

What's wrong with your current computer? If it has a gauge mode it's just fine. Also, AI may or may not be an issue, depending on your instructor. Gideon gave me a short lecture on it, but didn't freak out and I've since made many dives with DIR divers that gave me no drama associated with my transmitter.

That being said I would recommend the Tec2G over the Uwatec 330m, simply because with the Tec2G you can reset the depth averaging after each dive (and during, I believe) whereas the Uwatec has to shut off (24 hours?) before the average depth resets. A minor nitpick of mine, because if a tool is going to give me information I want it to be applicable at all times.

Peace,
Greg

I like my current computer, it does all I need it to do at the present time but... it is a wisdom 2 which is a console style. I'm thinking it will not be acceptable for class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom