Apollo Av-1 Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darkriver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,I have a Apollo Av-1 and I seem to be having a problem I can't quite figure out.Last weekend we were diving and the trigger spring broke. So I go to the boat fix the spring and get right back in the water,almost as soon as I get back to my spot it stops working, I pull the trigger a few more times and it starts working again, and does this a few more times.Well once when it had stoped working I could here something inside that sounded like electricial parts frying, so I go back to boat remove the cover, check everything out and it all looks ok.I get back in the water and It works fine the rest of the day and the next...A few days ago I'm back in the water,first dive about 10 mins. in and the battery sounds like it may be going dead(the battery was fully charged) so I go back to the boat remove the cover and the positve lead that is attached at the bulkhead is smokeing and very hot to touch.
Sence then I have made sure that every thing is tight and in place and I can't find any thing wrong.
Has anyone had an issue like this or can maybe point me in the right direction
thanks,
Darkriver

Hello,I have a Apollo Av-1 and I seem to be having a problem I can't quite figure out.Last weekend we were diving and the trigger spring broke. So I go to the boat fix the spring and get right back in the water,almost as soon as I get back to my spot it stops working, I pull the trigger a few more times and it starts working again, and does this a few more times.Well once when it had stoped working I could here something inside that sounded like electricial parts frying, so I go back to boat remove the cover, check everything out and it all looks ok.I get back in the water and It works fine the rest of the day and the next...A few days ago I'm back in the water,first dive about 10 mins. in and the battery sounds like it may be going dead(the battery was fully charged) so I go back to the boat remove the cover and the positve lead that is attached at the bulkhead is smokeing and very hot to touch.
Sence then I have made sure that every thing is tight and in place and I can't find any thing wrong.
Has anyone had an issue like this or can maybe point me in the right direction
thanks,
Darkriver

Darkriver:

Our Service Center Tech for all models of Apollo manufactured DPV's is:

Ernie Bourne Service Center (call first)
Ph (408) 318-3675
E-mail: eebourne@comcast.net

Ernie will be happy to provide advice via phone or e-mail.

Darkriver,

Sounds like a short somewhere. I recently had an issue with my Dacor Seasprint (exact same as Av-1), water got in the motor compartment . I called Ernie, who was very helpful, but I decided to tackle the problem myself. Depending on how handy you are there are schematics and step by step servicing instructions (with photos :cool2:) that you can download posted on the Apollo web site.

The Av-1 is a relatively simple scooter to work on. I ended up taking the entire scooter apart and rebuilding it. I bought two parts from Apollo ( Very Very expensive) and found with a little research I could have bought the parts locally for less than quarter of the price :banghead:.

It is a very well built scooter. I bought mine recently (Craigslist $50) and found out it used to be a rental unit, so I'm sure it's taken a beating in it lifetime. When I took it apart, it was still factory sealed, I found the motor was dated 1987. She still runs strong.

I've done a lot of research on the web. Nobody seems to reply to a Dacor / Apollo Av-1 post seems everyone has moved on to the newer scooters. It would be interesting to see how many people still have and use them.

Sorry for running on. If you have any questions contact me, hopefully I can help.

Good Luck

The electrical cracking sound you may have heard was when you opened the battery compartment (I'm assuming you were just out of the water and still a little wet) and water got in the battery plug while you were checking the connection and cause a short. Causing it to sputter until the water dripped out of the plug. Well that's at least what happened to me this weekend. I just dried off the terminals and everything was fine.

any thoughts on where to buy a new trigger? (mine just snapped in 2) luckily it was in a quarry skill working dive ... thing locked open and took me for a ride ... was ok due to conditions but had i been off shore, i believe id be out quite a bit of money as it would have quickly become a run-away scooter ...
thanks

Same thing happened to me before a beach dive. The trigger broke and was stuck in the on position. I handed the scooter to my buddy, so I could try to fix it and it slipped out of our hands. I took a quick glance underwater and all I could see was the scooter headed out to the deep blue sea. Luckily for me the replacement battery is not balance and makes the scooter turn towards the right. We finally caught up to it beacuse it was doing doughnuts in the sand. The trigger (Part # 3952035000) is available on ebay and directly from Apollo. I could not see replacing it with a plastic trigger that may break again. I took the broken trigger and screwed it to a piece of aluminum. Took some pliers and a drill to form the trigger "arm" that screws directly into the (Part #3951900001) magnet switch assembly. Sorry for the horrible pic. I also drillled a small hole in the handle so I could stick a screwdriver in to shut it off in case it gets stuck "on" again. (If you are going to do this remember to make a plug for the hole to keep out debris) The wire you see attached to the trigger is a remote throttle cable because I'm moding it so it can be a tow behind (So I can use a tow strap) or if I decide to ride it I can control it with the remote.

Good Luck. Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• CIMG0525.jpg
    CIMG0525.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 1,240
ingenious! if you happen to have the time and energy, a better pic would be greatly appreciated.... and a deeper description into the part about modding the magnetic switch by "screwing" ... thanks a ton ... for now i super glued it and it worked yesterday but im not ready to go offshore as is ...

I tried super glue and it failed after the 3rd dive.

Here are some better pics. It directly replaces the plastic trigger. There is one slight adujstment. before you take apart your handle and trigger. Hold the assembly next to your ear. Press the trigger listen for a click, this is the reed switch being activated. When to tighten the new switch down you need to make sure the magnet is in the off position when the trigger is disengaged and on when engaged. Do this by listening to the clicks. Use a small star washer between the trigger and magnet switch to prevent it from slipping.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• DSCF0585.jpg
    DSCF0585.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 631
  • DSCF0586.jpg
    DSCF0586.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 710
  • DSCF0588.jpg
    DSCF0588.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 620
  • DSCF0591.jpg
    DSCF0591.jpg