I passed Fundies!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flowerpecker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, maybe I'm going a bit overboard here but I just found out I passed my GUE Fundies course and I'm really quite happy about it! My buddy and I took the class in March (in winter, in Alaska - could we make a hard class much harder?) and though he got his pass at the time, I didn't. I was sent home with instructions to practice several things and send video when I felt I might have it down. We practiced a lot. I sent a tape. No go. We practiced more. I sent another tape. Got it! I would have been satisfied with simply all that I learned in the class but to actually get the cert feels like a real accomplishment.

Thanks for listening to me toot my own horn - I just needed to share! :D

Awesome man! Always be excited about the accomplishments that take the most effort! You should be proud!

Nice one. I'm taking the course in September. Not sure what to expect.

Any top tips?

Oh, and congrats by the way! :D

J

You beat me -- it took me six months to pass!

So -- has the stuff from the class made your intervening diving better or more fun?

CONGRATS!!!! That's fantastic!

I took the class in March (in winter, in Alaska - could we make a hard class much harder?)
OMG that sounds like a hard class! What were the temps?

Nice one. I'm taking the course in September. Not sure what to expect. Any top tips? Oh, and congrats by the way! :D J

Ah, you can probably expect you'll learn how to do a back kick & lots more :)! I loved my Fundies class! Have fun!

Hey everyone, thanks for the pats on the back!

InTheDrink, tips - I'd been using a mostly DIR configuration for several months (backplate for three years) before taking the class, so was already comfortable with most the gear; also my buddy and I had practiced some of the skills - maintaining neutral buoyancy, mask and reg removal, etc - that we knew we'd use in the class for a couple of months ahead of time - definitely helped. Also taking the class with my usual dive buddy helped - we already had similar philosophies, attitudes and style and so didn't have to worry as much about planning and communicating before and during the dives. My best advice is to go in with the idea that you will learn a LOT of valuable skills and information no matter whether you get your pass or not. Even if I'd never gotten my pass I'd still be happy with all that I learned.

TS and M - I don't know that I'd say the diving is necessarily more fun, but it's certainly a lot more streamlined, organized and safe , which means my buddy and I have more time/energy to concentrate on other stuff underwater - taking photos, keepin an eye on newbies, or these days just seeing more than two feet!

kathydee, believe it or not the temps were warmer in Whittier, where we did our class dives, than they were where we live in the Aleutians. Brandon and I were overjoyed (I kid you not) to find that the water was 43F in Whittier! We were coming from 36F in Unalaska, where our top summer temps are only in the mid 40's.

Interesting, flowerpecker -- but of course, it sounds as though you were far ahead of me coming into Fundies.

For me, learning to be able to be still, and to back up, and to keep track of my buddies while still spending a lot of time marveling at the marine environment meant I had more fun. If that's one thing I'd say to anybody thinking about DIR dive training of any kind, it is that: Jarrod promised me in his book that going DIR would make diving more fun, and he did not lie to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom