Help me choose my first SCUBA gear.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ThierryA

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi all,

Below, you'll find a list of quotes I received for SCUBA equipment here in Israel. (1 US$ = ~4.5 NIS). The last price is for the same equipment as the first one, but from a shop in Eilat on the Red Sea, where there's no VAT.

I just finished my AOW and have no experience with anything but Mares Axis Regs and Mares Vector BCDs.

The two LDS that sell Scubapro seem to believe that there is a huge difference between their basic regs and BCDs and Mares's. From the review in Rodale and DiverNet, it is not the impression I am getting; it seems more that they are equivalent. Any thoughts?

A couple of other points I'm asking myself is:
- Mares Axis or Mares Proton?
- Jubilee is the only back-inflated in the list, would it be recommended for a beginner? Few people except technical divers seem to use back inflated or wings here in Israel.

I'm off to a diving safari on a liveaboard in Sinai in mid september and will want equipment for that. Is it a little early and should I continue diving with rental equipment for a while until I know more? Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Thierry

Regulator Scubapro MK2+/R190/R190 Octo/Mini Combo
BCD Glide 1000
Suit Scubapro 3mm one-piece

Total NIS 4800

Regulator Mares R2/Axis or Proton/Axis or Proton Octo/Oil Combo
BCD Mares Vector Origin
Suit Mares Thermic Classic 5mm Two-piece

Total NIS 3540

Regulator Mares MR12/Axis or Proton/Axis or Proton Octo/Air Combo
BCD Mares Chrome

Total NIS 4078

Regulator Mares MR12/Axis or Proton/Axis or Proton Octo/Air Combo
BCD Mares Jubilee

Total NIS 4659

Regulator Scubapro MK2+/R190/R190 Octo/Mini Combo
BCD Glide 1000
Suit Scubapro 3mm one-piece

Total NIS 4060

Most of the stuff I've tried with the Scuba pro brand has been good and in the UK their distributor provides good customer care and in my experience they replace things that go wrong without demanding reciepts or being overly concerned where and when you bought them. Although this may just be down to the atitude of the distributor, Mares after sales service is not in the same class and I've experienced them disclaiming responsibility when their product failed to provide reasonable duribility expectations. On that basis I won't buy their products or those of Aqua-lung. The Mk2 reg has an established rep as a tough reliable low cost reg, thats cheap to service, most of us in the UK favour Buddy jackets. Regards the wet suit, I don't like a backzip on a steamer but that's a personal thing.

Ok, first.. Let me address ussue by issue..

Scuba Pro: Yes, good equipment, is it the best? Well, there's argument both yes and no. I donm't actually think they are "the best" per se, you'll you'll pay for it like they were! Do I have some scuba pro stuff, yup!

Rodales: What they rate as "tester's choice", well, lets be honest here. These products get the rating because they put money in Rodales hands! It's that simple! Want testers choice? PAY FOR IT! And you too can have your item be called NUMBER ONE!

Mares? Ok, I've heard good and bad about them. And since my preferred regulator is by Dacor, it's a MARES. Hey, I like it, it works for me.

The bottom line: Advice ont he net is not going to help you. A statement like "Get this brand and you'll be happy", well, it's just not true.

If you REALLY want help, here's what you do. Go to your LDS of choice, try on several BC's Try several regs, try everything. Look for comfort, fit, performance, etc. You'll know all by yourself what is "best" for YOU. A sales guy can't, (and shouldn't even try) make up your mind for you. Nor can this board!

Now that I've given you a nice wordy reply, give my advice a shot. I think you may find what you're looking for.

I agree with GQ medic on most points.

With a BC, if possible, try it and dive it before you buy it, the dealer often will have it in the rental and if they are smart they will credit the rental price toward the purchase if you buy it. If you can't dive it at least try it in the store as you will still have a good idea what you like and what you don't.

Wet suits come down to fit, go with the one that fits you the best.

Regulators are the item that will need the most service so it is a very wise choice to go with the one that is most easily serivced. Scubapro is hard to beat in most areas of the world in that regard. The MK 2 R-190 is also a good performer and is very reliable and easy to service. Scubapro also offers free parts for life as long as you get it serviced regularly. Overtime the savings in parts at annual service will more than compensate for a higher initial price. Scubapro also continues to support discontinued models for a long time. You can still get parts and service for a 30 year old SP reg at any SP dealer. You can't get that kind of long term service and support from Dacor/Mares.

My main problem is that it is pretty much impossible to try most of the gear I may want here in Israel. Nobody here in Israel rents back-inflate BCDs, and as for scubapro equipment, I'll have to go down to Eilat to try it.

I guess this is what I'm going to do, and force myself to slow down and get some more dives done (it's a good excuse to go diving anyways).

I have never tried on any BCD more comfy than the scuba pro glide 2000 (I am guessing the 1000 is great too) but I am sure you can get the 2000.

Weight intergration is the way to go.

I don't care if you can't try it on first - you'd absolutely love it if you got it. Everyone who I have let try mine on, wants to steal it from me now!

scuba pro regs are quite big and bulky but very long lasting and reliable.

Mares Proton - cute, and small and a good breather - but not too sure about reliability. A good choice for an octopus though I would say!

Can you buy Apex regs out there? If so, I would recommend you get the ATX 200. It's super lovely!

Back inflation for recreational diving is a con! Unless you are going techie, don't bother with back inflation - it's a novelty, fashion for recreational divers. It makes you roll forward when on the surface and when you are down under, you shouldn't have much air in your BCD at all - so who cares if the little bit of air in there is on your back. Wearing your wieght towards your front will see you perfectly positioned in the water - not a back inflating BC.

Hope this helps.

bermudaskink once bubbled...

Back inflation for recreational diving is a con! Unless you are going techie, don't bother with back inflation - it's a novelty, fashion for recreational divers. It makes you roll forward when on the surface and when you are down under, you shouldn't have much air in your BCD at all - so who cares if the little bit of air in there is on your back. Wearing your wieght towards your front will see you perfectly positioned in the water - not a back inflating BC.

Sorry, have to disagree with you on this. I have a Seaquest Balance BC and absolutely love it. I tried on numerous BC's before purchasing it and have no inclination to ever do tech diving.
The argument that the BC pushes you forward (and I've heard this from numerous people) is exaggerated. It makes it sound like the BC pushes your face in the water on the surface. This is not the case IMO. In my case I never keep my legs vertical...instead, I keep them slightly bent at the hips...and by slightly I mean a few inches at most. I have never felt like I was going to be pushed forward.
I bleieve you are talking about "trim" in your last statement. To be perfectly honest, my trim has improved with this BCD and I didn't have to reposition any weights.

I suggest to the original poster to try different types and purchase the one that fits him/her best. The best manufacturer is the one that suits the individual diver the best. To each his own.

Just my .02

I have a Zeagle Ranger. A.KA. Back inflate. I can't say that I have ever come close to drowning from my head being forced into the water, but I have had several wonderful dives with it! :)

DA Aquamaster,

I should have been more detailed in my post, but my replies along this nature while I intend to be brief and to the point, I go overboard and write books. I made concious effort to keep it short, sweet and simple.

Although, yes, Scuba pro has excellent customer service. I don't feel that they are the "best" per se. Good, but I also think they are very pricey. You are certainly right about them still servicing discontinued items. No argument there. I've even seen some of the 30 year old regs come into the shop for service and I am amazed how the parts are available. Not too many companies can lay claim to that. Con is, I own a uwatec (scubapro) aladin pro ultra. There are some features that it should have, that it doesn't, and it's left me thinking I should have got the suunto mosquito. (I wanted a nitrox wrist mounted computer)

fwiw -- I'm still diving the same ScubaPro regulator and BC I purchased in 1991 and I'm an instructor (which only means that the gear gets used a lot, travels a lot and gets abused more than it should) -- That speaks volumes to me.

Back
Top Bottom