Maldives liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea_star

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I am planning on taking a dive holiday to Maldives this Dec (2010) and looking for some recommendations for which boats. Any suggestions on which boats to take or which one's to avoid. Would likely be doing a Ari Atoll/Male type trip. Also should this be booked directly or through an agent/website? If the later any suggestions on which to use?

Thanks!! :)

December is a good month to find a confirmed trip departure as the seas should be calm.

Have a look here for our recommended selection of Maldivian liveaboards.

What is on your wish list when selecting your trip?

Hi Sea Star
Have just returned from our 10th visit to the Maldives; it's safe to say we love it andd this years trip really was awsome.

For the last 4yrs we've used Maldives Scuba Tours; they have over 20yrs experience in the Maldives and the teams really do know thier stuff.

If you log on to thier site you can check out all info; which includes trip reports and guest comments which is great as it gives useful/interesting fact.

My highlights from this yrs safari has to be:
Doliphins actually on the dive - awsome

Sitting on the back of the boat on an evening relaxing with a drink when everyone else had gone to bed when a 5m Whale Shark come into view - at this stage I loudly went and woke the entire boat up - no complaints to be had for the rude wake up!

Check out thier site and any Q's then just ask
Kasha

Hi Sea Star,

We really like MY Sheena who goes to the South Ari Atoll & Felidhoo Atoll and we would also recommend Carpe Diem who goes to Ari Atoll and the Southern Atolls like South Male, Felidhu and Meemu. Diving the Maldives is year around, however, I must say December is not the best month to dive The Maldives. If you can i would recommend looking at going in November or to wait January / February.

So December isn't a great time to go? When is the best time? When is best for Whalesharks and Manta's? Are there any hammerheads?:confused:

The Maldives scuba diving runs all year round, but the recommended months for confirmed liveaboard departures are from November to May. If you wish to come outside of these months then it may be more difficult to find a departure date that suits you.

April, May and June are the hottest months of the year and, due to plankton blooming, see manta rays and whale sharks. These months are popular with divers seeking the large pelagics including hammerheads. December to March normally enjoys the best visibility.

The Maldive Islands have a wet season between May and August, which reduces visibility and may restrict the number of accessible dive sites due to poorer surface conditions. This is less of a concern for liveaboards that can vary their itineraries to cover only those sites enjoying the best dive conditions.

Hi Sea Star
Check out Maldives Scuba Tours and their trip reports; and look back at previous yrs around the time your looking at going.

It's all kicking off at HaniFaru with some fantastic Manta/Whale Shark action
Happy diving
Kasha

Thanks. We have booked a trip for December. Hope it's great!!

We arrive the day before the liveaboard leaves. Any recommendations on where to stay for that one night?

Back
Top Bottom