Have you had this problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raven C

Reaction score
Do other divers try to help you out by unthreading your long hose?

I dive a long primary and tuck it under my webbing or tool sheath and I don't like it when I have other divers, unfamiliar with the setup, come up and "help me out by untangling the hose" when I dive. How frustrating. This caused a problem when penetrating a wreck this weekend. Has this happened to you? Anyone just reach over and "help you out" and untuck your hose? R

I have to assume that you set them straight about touching other divers gear.

I don't dive wrecks so I have not encountered this problem. How many times have you had this happen?

I had to learn to just say NO this weekend. :)

I have had comments about the hose but this weekend is the first time I penetrated a wreck with it. I also have to tolerate lots of advice that I need a short hose and how much better it is for me. I just keep explaining why I chose my setup. I am considering just saying, you dive what you like and I'll dive what I like. But, I don't want to be rude. Besides those who are not educated about my reasons why might benefit and learn to check it out for themselves. R

Edited to say: I have had several try to reroute the hose. Many think it is my backup because it is the long hose.

I think you're hanging around with the wrong people, especially inside wrecks.

It's tough being an innovator sometimes :wink:

I used to get that all the time with my weight integrated BC. I guess I was one of the first people wearing one up here. That, coupled with my age at the time (I was in my twenties, and most of the wreck divers up here were twice my age) led to endless "you forgot your wieght belt" comments. I was cool about it, and after the dive I'd usually wind up with a couple of them asking to take a closer look at the system.

Underwater is a different story. No one should be swimming up and grabbing your gear like that. I hope you put them straight when you got topside. Tell them to point at the percieved problem and flash an OK sign first. :rolleyes:

It's great not to be rude, but at the same time you have to make sure that they understand it's your equip. Obviously you've done this enough times that you know what you are doing.

wow, sucks.

Never had that happen to me. But I ALWAYS get "advice" people thinking Im nuts or something, like I came up w/ the set up or something. I always hear how the hose around my neck can choke me!! AT a dive shop they refused to take the boot off of the SPG I bought from em they said "its gonna hit you in the head, and will get all dinged up hitting the coral" I had to say "No I dont dive like that".

Do you carry a dive knife? If so, the proper response to this situation is to "agree" that your hose is too long, cut their hose, and ask if that is about how long it "shoud" be. If you are underwater you should wait until the dive is over to ask the questions. :wink:

I'm not DIR trained but if the GUE people want to make this a "standard" procedure I will be happy to release all rights. :wink:

Had you been a balding 50's (ish) male with a beer belly.... it wouldn't have happened. :rolleyes: Guys are always willing to help a nice looking young lady...even if she doesn't need the help.

I've had 1 or 2 people ask about the long hose, but I've never had anyone try and "adjust" it for me. People should know not to go around touching other peoples gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom