Reserve Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'd previously heard that reserve lights needed to be 4C incandescents with twist-on switches, however looking over GUE's equipment page I'm not seeing anything other than "must be appropriate". I'm trying to get my equipment set up for Rec Fundies, and I'm sort of in love with my current Intova light that's a 3AA LED with recessed pushbutton switches. I was going to get a second as a backup, but I'd rather not increase the number of things that I'll have to repurchase later.

I'm guessing this might come down to "talk to your instructor", but I'm still a long way out and I'd hate be pestering them 6-12mo before I'm ready to take the class.

As far as I know, the 3C cell requirement has been removed....but the twist bezel is still required (as well as a rear attachment).

Check the latest Standards (on the GUE website). The requirement for 3 C cell batteries has been removed. Lights must still be twist on for activation. This is only a requirement for a tech pass. Reserve lights (or a primary light) are not required for a rec pass.

So why twist-on? I can see prohibiting toggle and slide switches due to accidental turn-on, is it the same rationale for pushbutton? Do you guys have any recommendations for reserve lights in the $40ish pricerange, or do you all have more "serious" reserve lights?

Also, should I be looking somewhere other than Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers ?

Cheers!

Edit: yes, was looking in the wrong place. http://gue.com/?q=en/standards would have been better.

As I said, you should donwload the Standards:

Standards and Procedures | Global Underwater Explorers

The current reserve light requirement for GUE technical classes (or a tech pass in GUE-F) is defined as follows:

"Two reserve lights; Reserve lights should have a minimum of protrusions and a single attachment at its rear. The light should be activated and de-activated by twisting the front bezel."

Again, if you're not seeking technical training from GUE, who cares what lights you have? GUE feels that the twist-on lights are more reliable than magnetic or sliding switch and push-button activations. Such lights, however, are not required for a rec pass in GUE-F.

If you want a reserve light for overhead environments (where reliability is crucial), you'll be spending more than $40. If you just want a reserve light for recreational dives (e.g. so you can finish a night dive), then you have several options. I'm sure your Intovas work just fine for that. I've been decently happy with a Dorcy. Having had one flood, though, at 150', I'd hardly want to wager my life on its use. For dives where it's mattered more, I've been happy with my Photon Torpedo LED.

So why twist-on? I can see prohibiting toggle and slide switches due to accidental turn-on, is it the same rationale for pushbutton? Do you guys have any recommendations for reserve lights in the $40ish pricerange, or do you all have more "serious" reserve lights?

Also, should I be looking somewhere other than Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers ?

Cheers!

Occasionally I see used scouts on SB and on the TDS classified section for about $50-$75 each - just be patient and keep your eyes open.

K

They need to be twist on because water can get into the space between the toggle and switch space.

Switches also break, twist on devices typically use springs and are less prone to failure.

I use a Q40 for my backup light atm, and this seems good enough for my UTD instructor.

From the GUE standards though:

14. Two reserve lights: Reserve lights should have a minimum of protrusions and a single attachment at its rear. The light should be activated and de-activated by twisting the front bezel.*
*Required equipment 12 through 14 applies only to students seeking admittance into Tech or Cave training.

So there's no need to go toss down $300-900 on lights until you're ready for a tech pass.

Thanks for all the responses. The idea that I'm getting is that there's no reason to get a $40 twist-on that I don't like (Impact XL, etc) because that won't really be sufficient either.

The light needs to have a focused beam as well as being twist on. If it's not focused enough then the light will be insufficient as a signaling device.

I bought several dive lights, and wasted a chunk of cash before ending up with what I have now. I could have saved a lot of money and frustration had I just done it right the first time.

For backup dive lights I have Gulftex Photon Torpedo's - they are awesome lights.

I have an Intova light as well, it's very bright, and a great light ... for around the house.

Thanks for all the responses. The idea that I'm getting is that there's no reason to get a $40 twist-on that I don't like (Impact XL, etc) because that won't really be sufficient either.
I have an xenon scout if you're interested...but it'll take me a week or two to get it back from a buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom