Problems after certification dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melissat

New
Reaction score
I was just certified this weekend. Everything was fine after my dives and my dives went well. Did not ascend too quickly. did not hold breath. Starting the next day I was light headed, had a headache and was nauseated. Today the headache and nausea are gone but I feel a little "floaty" and have a mild pain in my chest on the right hand side. Anything to concerned about? I am planning a dive in about a week and don't want to go if there is a problem. Thanks!

You may want to speak with your physician about your symptoms before your next dive. Hard to tell without more info about you and your dive profile. Dive related injuries (pressure related injuries), as you may know, may occur during the dive or even a few days post-dive. Furthermore, the presentation may be atypical in nature. WHEN IN DOUBT, GET CHECKED OUT:) . It will put your mind at ease for your future dives (you don't want to be diving with this extra stress on your mind). Best of luck and congrats on your recent certification.:wink:

Alot of things could explain your symptoms, possible that you were tired and stresed wich for a reason or another had the effet of you releasing the nitrogen absorbed not as quickly as normally. Could be you are just sick because of all the work in your cert(ex cought a cold). This week

As was said earlier get it checked out, other symptoms can be experienced if you pushed your limits .but pain in chest is usually not a good sign especially since it usually indicates problems with lung or heart.

Best advice make sure you feel in excellent condition before you dive this weekend, make sure you dive well within your limits

Good luck
Happy diving

The best advice I can think of is not to come to this board looking for medical advice. I seriously doubt there is anyone here qualified to offer a medical opinion through a single message posting. Please don't take that the wrong way... I'm not taking any shots at you all I assure you. If you think you might have a problem, please go see your doctor, or some qualified doctor, sooner than later.

Which goes back to syaing what you described could be an indication of .......but we cant tell for sure so get it checked out(go see a doctor)

jroy017 once bubbled...
Alot of things could explain your symptoms, possible that you were tired and stresed wich for a reason or another had the effet of you releasing the nitrogen absorbed not as quickly as normally. Could be you are just sick because of all the work in your cert(ex cought a cold). This week

As was said earlier get it checked out, other symptoms can be experienced if you pushed your limits .but pain in chest is usually not a good sign especially since it usually indicates problems with lung or heart.

Best advice make sure you feel in excellent condition before you dive this weekend, make sure you dive well within your limits

Good luck
Happy diving

Actually, your statement about pain in the chest usually indicating problems with lung or hart is inacurate. Your more likely to have reflux or a muscle strain than to have respiratory or cardiac problems (depends on several things including age, activity, history etc...). None the less, "chest pain" CAN definetly be a symptom of a cardiac problems...usually is a strong word! Just wanted to clarify :)

Prior to further medical issues..

re-make your will and leave all of your scuba gear to me.

In the event of a dive related medical problem... do the following in these handy dandy steps.

Step 1. Dial 911 from your closest landline..

Step 2. Diall 1-919-684-8111 (Divers Alert Network) and provide them your dive profile.

Step 3. Listen to the advice of DAN and the Paramedics.

There ya have it! It's as easy as 1-2-3!

What not to do: Ask for diagnosis and or treatment on scubaboard.

Cheers!

Actually, your statement about pain in the chest usually indicating problems with lung or hart is inacurate. Your more likely to have reflux or a muscle strain than to have respiratory or cardiac problems (depends on several things including age, activity, history etc...). None the less, "chest pain" CAN definetly be a symptom of a cardiac problems...usually is a strong word! Just wanted to clarify

ok you are right can is a better word.

Bottom line though go see a doctor...................

BTW sometimes on this board though poeple are a bit too picky on words... (I was thinking more to the idea that if someone complains aout chest pain, cardiac is the first thing that pops to mind)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom