Question about SMB shoot...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
When I took Fundies, I was taught to:

a. Put SMB together with spool;

b. OK the team prior to inflating;

c. Inflate the bag;

d. Check to make sure nothing was above me (i.e., "blue hands"); and

e. Release the bag. (At least I think that was the sequence and is not relevant for the question.)

Anyway, why step "d"? Since I've just OK'd the team, why isn't the team checking to make sure nothing is above me -- afterall, they are looking at me and it is very easy for them to look above me.

I was doing some tractor work yesterday and started thinking funny thoughts which came to this.

Anyway, why step "d"? Since I've just OK'd the team, why isn't the team checking to make sure nothing is above me -- afterall, they are looking at me and it is very easy
for them to look above me.

team separation does occasionally happen, and fundies is about individual skills...

I've always thought it was because it was easier to see shadows directly above your head, than for your buddy that's looking at an angle.

That being said, I've been on some dives where there's multiple teams in the water and some are just at the edge of visibility of each other. In those conditions, it's quite easy for people to move back over the top of you (with currents etc), so it's good to do one final check.

Also, I normally do a) at home. :)

When I took Fundies, I was taught to:

a. Put SMB together with spool;

b. OK the team prior to inflating;

c. Inflate the bag;

d. Check to make sure nothing was above me (i.e., "blue hands"); and

e. Release the bag. (At least I think that was the sequence and is not relevant for the question.)

Anyway, why step "d"? Since I've just OK'd the team, why isn't the team checking to make sure nothing is above me -- afterall, they are looking at me and it is very easy for them to look above me.

Peter,

The primary purpose of the OK in step B is to make sure the team is good with you shooting the bag. On a real dive the full team may not always aware that you have pulled out the bag and you need to get the okay before doing something non-reversible.

In those conditions, it's quite easy for people to move back over the top of you (with currents etc), so it's good to do one final check.

If you chose to sit above me in my bubbles, I'm probably going to shoot the bag into you - you deserve a little extra fun for hanging out there :D

That's to maximize the team concept. More than one pair of eyes checking for problems. Rely on your buddies but confirm yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom