Is this DIR (and how does one find out what is and isn't)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

One helpful SB'er suggested the following for stowing/clipping off my reel.

"Watch where you put the reel. Clipping it on a shoulder ring or waist ring will allow it to break the plane of the body. Everything should be tight and streamlined against you. When I was diving backmount regularly, I had a hose clamp on my left tank with a 2 inch d-ring to the side. I clipped my primary reel to that d-ring. Very easy to reach and kept it from dangling lower than my bod"

So this seems to make sense to me, cos when I've clipped it to my bottom left D-ring it's easy to unclip my SPG rather than reel and vice versa as they're both clipped in same place. In addition to the fact that it hangs lower than my body.

But is it DIR?

This also broadens my question to some extent. How does one find out whether something is compliant or not? Is the process that something is permitted/compliant unless explicitly ruled out, or is it the other way round, where something is considered non-compliant unless explicitly permitted? If you get my gist...

Cheers,
J

Only thing attached to your body should be lights, bottles, regulators really.

SMBs should be stowed either on your butt d-ring if they're that big, in a pack if you have one, or in pockets if pre-rigged.

Spools should go in a pocket so they don't come loose and cause entaglement issues, reels (that lock) can attach to your butt d-ring if too big for a pocket.

How does one find out whether something is compliant or not?
By taking a class, learning how to handle and use particular piece of gear and understanding why it's used in that way, thinking about principles applied and trying to get broader picture.

Only thing attached to your body should be lights, bottles, regulators really.

SMBs should be stowed either on your butt d-ring if they're that big, in a pack if you have one, or in pockets if pre-rigged.

Spools should go in a pocket so they don't come loose and cause entaglement issues, reels (that lock) can attach to your butt d-ring if too big for a pocket.

Thanks for your response. First off - please understand that I'm new in all sorts of ways.

My initial question in the cave forum was about my reel hanging off my butt d-ring did the following...

1. Loosened the nut, causing line to go loosen also.
2. On long walk ins it really whacked behind my knees.

I'll admit I was surprised as prior to getting a reel I always stowed SMB and finger spool there. But my new bigger reel isn't so well behaved.

I asked for other positions to stow it and the two responses I got were:
1. Left waist D ring
2. D ring of tank clasp.

Neither of which seemed unreasonable, and I've only tried the first but have just rigged up tank clasp and D-ring for next dive.

Anyhow, I'm taking away that this ISN'T compliant. Pls advise if I'm mistaken here.

And my other (provisional) take away is that regs, lights and tanks are all that are considered kosher. Everything else in a pocket. I guess apart from knife.

J

In general, all you need are the 5 d-rings, so adding others with hose clamps isn't really necessary and adds entanglement hazard and failure points. If 5 d-rings are enough for expedition-level dives, you can make it work as well ;-). That said, I thought butt d-ring was a common place for a reel, even amongst DIR folks. Not typically using one, I'm not sure.

D rings on the tanks are not "DIR" for 99% of diving. They are just one more thing to get caught on line, and aren't needed.

For walking, try holding the reel in your hand or clipping it to the hip. When you're diving, the rear dring is a pretty good if the ring is in the right place and your double ender isn't too long.

Hi,

One helpful SB'er suggested the following for stowing/clipping off my reel.

"Watch where you put the reel. Clipping it on a shoulder ring or waist ring will allow it to break the plane of the body. Everything should be tight and streamlined against you. When I was diving backmount regularly, I had a hose clamp on my left tank with a 2 inch d-ring to the side. I clipped my primary reel to that d-ring. Very easy to reach and kept it from dangling lower than my bod"

So this seems to make sense to me, cos when I've clipped it to my bottom left D-ring it's easy to unclip my SPG rather than reel and vice versa as they're both clipped in same place. In addition to the fact that it hangs lower than my body.

But is it DIR?

This also broadens my question to some extent. How does one find out whether something is compliant or not? Is the process that something is permitted/compliant unless explicitly ruled out, or is it the other way round, where something is considered non-compliant unless explicitly permitted? If you get my gist...

Cheers,
J

...the BEST way - take their classes so you have their training.

...next best way, find a DIR "friend" who has had the training and learn from them (kinda what you are doing here - only you don't have the single "friend" part.

Q: Why do you care if it's DIR compliant? Not that DIR would be wrong, but why the focus on DIR (or - as I interprit it - GUE)?

BTW... the answer is the butt ring

A good reference to start with is _Dress for Success_, but it seems to be out of stock:

Dress for Success | Global Underwater Explorers

...the BEST way - take their classes so you have their training.

...next best way, find a DIR "friend" who has had the training and learn from them (kinda what you are doing here - only you don't have the single "friend" part.

Q: Why do you care if it's DIR compliant? Not that DIR would be wrong, but why the focus on DIR (or - as I interprit it - GUE)?

BTW... the answer is the butt ring

Well I'm kinda doing all of the above. Fundies course in Sep. But getting used to new rig/kit in the meantime and makes sense to understand what's ok and what's not. Funny that my original place for stowing is the *right* place. I think it's simply my D-ring is to long. As the reel properly hangs down underneath my groin. Anyhow, thanks, that question answered.

Not that I've tried particularly hard but in this exact spot in the UK I'm not sure they've heard of DIR/GUE very much. 50 miles down the coast and yes absolutely but here not so much from what I can make out. I could of course be wrong but casual conversation hasn't given any glimmers of this so far.

Hence my frequent (and frequently moronic) questions here. But it's a useful source and with multiple inputs which I always like for balance.

Thanks,
J

A good reference to start with is _Dress for Success_, but it seems to be out of stock:

Dress for Success | Global Underwater Explorers

Cheers Lamont - sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Damn shame it's no longer in print (although surprised they've managed to delete the file for download! - that said, since I've signed up on that site nothing really surprises me. I mean this in a scathing yet gentle kinda way - the site needs attention big style).

I'll dig around the net a little more and see what I can dig up in terms of dressing for the occasion :)

Cheers,
J

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom